sick rosy barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicshaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my tank I have 2 rosy barbs, they seemed fine at first, but now I have noticed that 1 seems to be picking on the other a little bit. They are both male and the poorly one is always hiding in the platns and doesnt tend to eat and also never seems to be swimming either
Any one know what this might be? :(

It a natural case of bullying in the tank. The only way to stop this is to remove the weaker fish for a while so that it won't get bullied no more.

The same thing happened to me with male platies. I tried a bunch of things - added more plants and other hiding spaces, added a few more females, seperated them for awhile, and then introduced them again. Nothing worked for me. Eventually, I gave one back to the LFS.

Sometimes fish can be jerks. It doesn't always help, but barbs do liek to be kept in bigger groups (5 or so). This generally helps to spread out the aggression.

If I put females in there will they al mate and have a load of fry, cos thats just wot I dont want!
The sick rost barb cant really swim now, he seems to have gotten worse and swims vertically now. I think maybe he is aparilysed and has a clamped fin :evil:

Vicshaw said:
If I put females in there will they al mate and have a load of fry, cos thats just wot I dont want!
I don't think rosy barbs breed that easily. Plus, they would probably eat their young. Mine goes after guppy fry pretty well.

Don't worry, even if they do breed, chances are that they won't survive long because the parents usually eat them. And keeping more barbs is a good idea, but what size is your tank? You don't want to overcrowd it. And the best thing you can do to it right now is buy some stress coat to relieve some stress :mrgreen:

I got 3 more rosys to join the tank, unfortunately the sick one died yesterday :cry:

I'm sorry to hear about your Rosy Barb. I have 6 Neon Rosy Barbs in with my Tigers and they all get along fine, but I agree about having more to dilute the aggressive nature between them. I think it's the same for all Barbs. I have 10 Tiger Barbs and even with that many, I catching the males challenging each other all the time...Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom