Sick ryukin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orandas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place! I have a ryukin who is showing major signs of swimbladder and has been for about 3 weeks now... The water is all coming back as fine, i have done water changes, treated with swimbladder treatment, fasted him and also fed him peas but nothing has really helped. He has a brief time where he is the right way up and able to have a swim on the bottom of the tank, but 80% of the time he is upside down in the corner. Any advice would be great please x

Hi! Can you provide us with some more information so we can try to better help? Tank size? Stocking? Exact parameters? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? Diet (specific brand, type of food)? Are there any other symptoms beyond the buoyancy issues such as heavy/rapid breathing, strange waste, red streaking/veining or sores, bloating or anything unusual at all? Thanks!

It's just the one Ryukin, his tank is smaller than it should be but I'm looking for a bigger one. It's 25 litres, 50% water changes weekly. I feed him pellets every few days, and peas and vegetables on the other days. No other odd behaviour from him, although he did have rather large poos the other day but he is prone to occasional constipation so I put it down to that.

Do you have a liquid test kit for your parameters? 50% a week on a very small tank with a messy fish honestly is not sufficient to keep toxins in check and I suspect this may be the source of his issues (toxin exposure). The best I can suggest right now is to increase your wcs to daily (especially if you do not have a test kit), feed lots of veggies daily and hope for the best. You can also try giving him a separate epsom salt bath 1-2x daily (1tsp/g for 15-20mins) and see if this helps.

Thanks for the advice, still no change but I'm still to do the Epsom bath so fingers crossed

Any advice as to what the purplish marks might be on his head? They're abit darker in the flesh. I noticed them a couple of days ago but they now seem to be getting worse... He's been spending a lot of time upside down due to his swimbladder so I'm not sure if it could be bruising or something??

Attachments

• image-3746678198.jpg
    image-3746678198.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom