sick Severum, please help fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a red severum that I realized was sick when I got him home. I didn't return him because I figured he would be more likely to die in the store. I'm treating with high temp, Maracyn-Oxy and Maracyn 2. Now it looks maybe fungal and I also found white stuff growing on the edge of a rock in the tank. However, I know very little about fish sickness, so maybe Ich (thus the high temp); the pics looks like ich, right? Getting a second heater tomorrow because this one can only keep it at 84. The fish hides and seems lethargic, but eats very well.

I know the water params are messed up; I think because of the meds. Should I just stop them and do big water changes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Red Severum with white cotton growth on fins and body, maybe some small spots too

2~What are your tank parameters: they are messed up
ammonia: 0
nitrites: ~2ppm (hard to read)
nitrates: 40 ppm
temp: 84
pH: 6.7

3~ How large is the tank? 5g
How long has the tank been set up? 5 days

4~What type of filtration are you using?
small sponge wrapped in the fine filter from a Eheim 2017 from a cycled tank

5~How many fish are in the tank?
1 Severum, about 1.5" to 2" diamter

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
I change out a gallon this morning, but have been not doing changes because of the meds

7~How long have you had the fish?
this is a new fish (5 days) acclimated with the bucket method

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
The tank water was half from the main tank and half tap with Prime. The gravel is from the cyccled tank

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, flakes, dried blood worms

Attachments

• DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02020.jpg
    DSC02020.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 184
Update

I had only been tracking the ammonia, up until writing my first post, but those numbers were so bad that I had to do a big water change from my cycled tank. So, I did an 80% change and put in more Maracyn-Oxy and Maracyn 2.

Sounds like you're doing everything right..hopefully it'll clear up. Is it just on the fins? Or on the body too?

there are a few spots on the body, but it's mostly fins.

Do you think it is more important to keep the water params in line or to keep using the meds?

Also, opinion: Ich or somethings else?

there are a few spots on the body, but it's mostly fins.

Do you think it is more important to keep the water params in line or to keep using the meds?

Also, opinion: Ich or somethings else?

Looks kinda like ich to me.. I would use the meds..as long as you have new water in their for it and then added meds. A bigger tank might help too..more water would help..him and his health.

I can't say 100% but from the pic it doesn't look like ich. If you start seeing little white spots that look like sugar grains its ich. To me this seems like its eating the edges of the poor guys fins and ich doesn't do that

That what I was hoping. I don't know a whole lot about diseases because I'm lucky to have good LFS around here.

Yeah, I stupidly stopped into petland, and saw this fish. The LFS carries exotic pets on lousy conditions so I stopped buying there. I've had good luck at petco and petsmart, but petland stinks. The only thing is petland gets more interesting fish.

Re: 5g. I just got the tank for this type of thing, and I'm surprised how happy this fish seems. Part of it is the individual attention. You could totally see how over just a few days he has learned who brings food and to not be afraid. I will really miss him if he doesn't pull through

It definitely looks like ich to me. Good luck!

I can't say 100% but from the pic it doesn't look like ich. If you start seeing little white spots that look like sugar grains its ich. To me this seems like its eating the edges of the poor guys fins and ich doesn't do that

Yes, the fins are a bit ragged. This is my first Severum so I wasn't sure if that's normal. There are some sugar grains but there's some other stuff too. Maybe it's ich + unknown

update

thank you everyone for your advice. He is still kicking. Like I said, I did a big water change last night and today added a better heater that keeps it at 84. When he is not stuck to the sponge filter he is quite energetic, but his skin looks terrible.

Oh, because I am sure what he needs is more medication (sarcasm), I added some API Ich stuff (malachite green).

fingers crossed,
Mark

Ich Life Cycle

one thing occurred to me this time thinking about ich, because this fish shared a tank with another for a brief time.

I tried to console myself that everything would be fine because the ich wouldn't necessarily be in the right stage to be transferred. However, this is wrong because even though ich has a life cycle not all the ich individuals are synchronized. This means at any given time all stages are represented, and so any treatment absolutely needs to be continuous. Anyway, I hadn't ever realized or read this quite in this way.

question: feeding sick fish

this fish seems very hungry. Should I starve the cold or feed the fever?

To me, this seems to be Ich. You're doing everything right to get rid of it though. High Heat and good filtration. Ich can't survive in waters warmer than 86 degrees so you're good. That is a very nice Red Severum too. Hard to find them like that.

To me, this seems to be Ich. You're doing everything right to get rid of it though. High Heat and good filtration. Ich can't survive in waters warmer than 86 degrees so you're good. That is a very nice Red Severum too. Hard to find them like that.
yeah, I like him/her. I've not had one before, so I don't really know how he;she compares.

Back
Top Bottom