Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sick sick fish

Hi

Very strange, very odd. Silver Molly started behaving odd about two weeks ago, lying on floor of aquarium. I thought it had a day or so to live. Stayed there 1 week, disappeared for a couple of days amongst the plants. Has now come back, swimming vertically, looking like it has a crooked spine, very thin on the underneath of its abdomen. Seems to be OK, swimming, eating, making sure other fish stay away from it. It is very odd though, thin, twisted and vertical. Any ideas? All other fish seem OK. Water checks out OK.

Thanks in advance

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish1_131.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1276  
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Wow. Looks like a serious case of Tuberculosis to me.

Unfortanetly, I would say your fish is quite gone at this point in the cycle.

Here is a website with info about TB, but you might want to consider euthanizing this fish, and then agressively treating the rest of your tank with anti-bacterial meds.

http://www.4qd.org/Aqua/disease/tb.html#cures

And a site devoted to euthanasia:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus...euthanasia.htm

Might want to wait for a second opinion, as this is just my advice. I have never seen or heard of a fish coming out of a TB infection that looks like that... nor treated a TB infection. Treat the rest of your tank agressively, and if you have the means to...take the fish from the infected tank out, and boil the things inside of it and start over from scratch.

Sorry to tell you.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Wow. I also have never seen a fish this bad in person, or treated TB, but from reading about it, I agree with Devilishturtles.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a Betta that grew a crooked spine. There are even pics on this forum of it somewhere. He looked fine when I bought him, and it seems like I just noticed he was crooked one day. It was an awful looking deformation of the spine, but it didnt seem to bother him. He didnt swim vertical like yours though. He ate, and went about life normally. I sold him to my favorite lfs before I moved across the states a few months ago so I dont know what happened to him. He lived several months while I had him just fine. If it IS something like fish TB, I know I wouldnt want to mess with it and infect anything else that ever went in the tank. Read some articles and try to make your own determination on whether or not the fish is suffering. Good luck!

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com