Sick Spotted Cory, Can't Swim, Laying on Back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satyricon553

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, my parameters:

38 Gallon.
Been cycled for 2 or 3 weeks.
Water test this morning showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 30ish nitrate.
My tap water has 10 nitrate, today was water change day.
I have 8 neon tetras, 6 (5 if this goes south) spotted corys, 6 long fin zebra danios, 10 ghost shrimp, a few pest snails, and 1 assassin snail.

Last week I changed my substrate from gravel to eco-complete. There was no change in my water. Ammonia didn't spike, Nitrite didn't spike. Nitrate has seemed to rise a little quicker after changing, but that might be my imagination.

When I woke up this morning, one of my catfish was floating on its back at the top of the tank.

I went to scoop him out because I assumed he was dead. He wasn't. He swam away from me but ended up back on his back at the top of the tank. He's breathing very heavily.

Here is a video of him struggling to swim.

Sick fish - YouTube

Any advice? He looks like he is having a horrible time. Should I throw him in the freezer to put him out of his misery or could he make it?

I did a 50% water change, but he's still floating and struggling.

I am sorry about your fish :( Did you cycle with him in the tank or was he just purchased in the past 2 weeks after the tank cycled?

That's a lot of fish for a newly cycled tank.

Corys are sensitive and shouldn't be added to new tanks.

Freezing fish is not exactly a good way to put them out of their misery. You could euthanize with clove oil first, then freeze.

Like Lynda said,Use clove oil to euthenize the fish. In my opinion its the most humane way!!

Back
Top Bottom