Sick tiger barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my seven tiger barbs has split from the school and isn't swimming around too much. He stops swimming then slowly tilts to the side. He looks completely fine on the outside, except the fact that he's a little skinny cause the other ones beat him to the food but he still gets some. Please help

Is it the smallest of the group? TigerBarbs are notorious for picking on the smallest member of the shoal ... causing stress on it.

Yea but there is another the save exact size. It's a male, would that have anything to do with it?

Yeah it could ... IMO. TigerBarbs will fight with each other for dominance of the shoal and like any hierarchy ... there's bound to be a low man on the totem pole.

For now keep monitoring his health. Try putting food in two spots so more food reaches him ... but this sounds typical from what I've heard, read and seen. If you can ... maybe add another one or two TigerBarbs ... that may shake up the shoal so he isn't picked on as much.

Just curious are they all regular TigerBarbs ... any Green or Albino?

They are all normal tigers but I spread food all throughout the tank so he gets some but not as much as the others.

Yeah it could ... IMO. TigerBarbs will fight with each other for dominance of the shoal and like any hierarchy ... there's bound to be a low man on the totem pole.

For now keep monitoring his health. Try putting food in two spots so more food reaches him ... but this sounds typical from what I've heard, read and seen. If you can ... maybe add another one or two TigerBarbs ... that may shake up the shoal so he isn't picked on as much.

Just curious are they all regular TigerBarbs ... any Green or Albino?
This is probably the most solid advice. I also have to pay careful attention at feeding time to make sure everyone gets what they need. I actually hold the food in my hand and move it around. They will also act funny if the water parameters are off too.

Back
Top Bottom