Sick turquoise rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrettMad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a picture of a turquoise rainbow I just picked up this past Sunday. I have him in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with a Boseimani and we saw a little bit of white on his tail Monday night. Assuming it was ich, I started treating for ich. The turquoise has been somewhat lethargic, and while I've been feeding very sparingly, he really hasn't eaten unlike his tank mate.

He basically stayed in hiding down behind some of the pipes for the last couple days but today came up and I could tell that his fin was damaged. Looking closely, I could see what I show in the picture. I'm assuming this is a fin rot / bacterial infection.

I have Maracyn which I used once before to treat a bacterial infection with mixed success. I'm prepared to start that treatment tonight which is a 5-day treatment.

By removing the filter from the hang on back filter for the ick treatment and changing water I apparently started another mini cycle. There is some ammonia in this tank, although levels are low. I do have Kordon AmQuel plus I can use to try to control ammonia. I'm not sure that I can do large water changes while doing the treatment or if the large water changes will also add stress to the fish.

Given that the Boseimani is active, with no signs of either Rick or any bacterial infection or rot on him, should I move him to the main tank and just treat the turquoise? I don't know if he is possibly / likely already infected in I should just leave him here. Leaving him here will put more strain due to pneumonia on this tank.

Is there some other treatment I should be doing for the turquoise?

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_150042.jpg
    IMG_20191107_150042.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 32
I thought I posted a couple pictures, here are the others.

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_150040.jpg
    IMG_20191107_150040.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 15731591794631032805966321515448.jpg
    15731591794631032805966321515448.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 25
Looks like fin rot.

Put him in quarantine and change out 50% of the water every two days. If clean water doesn't improve his health after a week then think about using Kanaplex.

Also, instead of adding chemicals to lower your ammonia problem just change out more water. Do a couple back to back 50% water changes right away. Then keep a schedule of 50% every 2 days. I'm assuming you have a kit to test your water. Monitor your water daily to see what schedule keeps ammonia at .25 ppm or below. The tank will eventually cycle itself again.

Back
Top Bottom