Sigh...me again with a new woe for my betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goose

Aquarium Advice Regular
After finally going the bathroom after what seemed like weeks he still is not eating(looked like there was undigested pellets in his poop) anyways a new issue

Now his breathing is very heavy and labored....gills are pumping and breathing through his mouth also...looks like he is a bit crooked and is spending more time laying on the bottom of thetank...never could remember him doing that before

When I stir him up a bit when cleaning uneaten food(I guess that would be all the food) he does dart around a bit and seems more lively...

He is also looking very gray..

I have one sick little fishy :( I'm not sure what disease he has now or if his organs are just shutting down because he is not eating

I gave him another dose of Jungle Fungus Clear as I have no idea what to treat him with.....

Hate to be a pest but any ideas?

Ive seen all your threads and im suprised this little guy hasnt gotten better yet. It seems you've done all you can and more.

I hate to say it, but maybe its time to end his suffering.

Since you say he's looking gray, I wonder if he's developed columnaris. To treat this bacterial disease, use an antibiotic. I have also read to thoroughly disinfect the tank, nets, etc. Can you tell if he has any "pimples" on his head or chin area? That can be another sign of columnaris.

The fact that he's still breathing hard may mean an infection of the gills - but hard to tell if it's bacteria or a parasite of some kind. If you can, use an antibiotic together with a parasite treatment. You can use the antibiotic and parasite treatment of the Mardel brand together. I think you can do the same with other brands - just check the label to make sure.

I can use the Parasite Clear and the Fungus Clear by Jungle together(so they say) I will do a 50% water change in a few and add both in there

Can't get any worse for the poor little guy :(

Is it okay to keep the filter running? I emptied the media of the carbon and put it back in

I think that's a good combination of meds. I hope they work! I would not bother with any filter media. Just keep the filter running for circulation. There are probably no cycling bacteria in the tank, and the meds you're adding now would destroy them anyway. Plus, if it is columnaris or a bad bacterial infection, you don't want to give that bacteria any additional place to live. Hope this treatment turns things around for the little guy.

Oh no! Your poor little betta! Don't give up on him. Get some Melafix and or Pimafix right away as it will take care of any nasty bacteria, especially the sneaky coloumnaris! He may be bent over from a swimbladder infection as well, again its a bacteria so Melafix or Pimafix should cover it too. Try bloodworms and see if hell eat those. In the wild that is what they eat most of the time aside from other lil bugs and such. I've had my betta for a year now and he's still going strong. I must admit though he had a bout just like yours is doing now and the melafix and pimafix saved his life. He currently will only eat freeze dried bloodworms as that is all my bettas tummy seems to be able to digest. Oh and live bugs every so often as a treat. I believe bettas are carnivores? Maybe thats why mine only does good on "bug meat". Try the melafix and pimafix and see what it will do for you. You've already treated with anti parasite and antifungal so onto the anti bacterials. I hope this helps and your little guy gets better soon!

I came home to this today...I think this is the final nail for him :( Dropsy? From what I can read there is no cure and death will be anywhere between 5-15 days

img_763658_0_c4ba7f96257f4695e10e7662d64464fe.jpg

Well he did not survive the day...just as well poor thing....I think everything caught up with him last night and the dropsy symps were the last straw...when I came home he was on his side on the bottom of the tank, crooked like the pic above shows...belly bloated and all gray and pretty stiff...I'm pretty sure he was dead as no gill movement and he was pretty stiff.....

Well no more suffering..thanks to all who have helped and cared enough to respond to my redundant questions

Thanks

Goose :(

I am so sorry goose. It may have been dropsy tring to develop all along. I hate that disease, it has claimed some of my mollies and a few of my barbs in the past. Whats maddening is there is no cure and we dont know why it happens in the first place. Truly terrible way for a fish to go. You did a great jobcaring for him as you did, through all this.
I know your lil betta appreciated all of your love. I hope you will get to feeling better soon even though this is one of those things only time can heal. Best wishes to you.
Rose

Back
Top Bottom