Silly or sick Corydora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my new Julli Corydoras is acting strange. It’s one of three in a long-time cycled, 25 gallon, planted tank - shared with a disinterested male Betta.

I’ve had these Jullies for about a week. They are a swimming well and seem happy. One sometimes lets herself drift down from the surface on her back and just rests on a leaf or the Eco-complete substrate like that. After a minute or so she flips over and seems to happily swim along with the other two. This has been going on for the last two days. Water changes are 40% once a week and 20% once a week. The last change was today (40%). I vacuum the substrate on 40% days. She was acting this way yesterday and today after the PWC. She does look like she might be ready to spawn (pudgy). Normal behavior?

Water temp: 80°
Ph 8 (out of the tap)
Ammonia 0 before and after PWC
Nitrite 0 before and after
Nitrate 10 before, 5 after

pH is a bit high.

I had a Cory acting strangely once and it ended up being a problem with the water quality. Are you using test strips or liquid, if liquid, is it not far expired or still within the best by date? Not stored in moist and / or very warm conditions??? To help maintain accuracy.

Otherwise I might wonder about parasites if wild caught, I understand Cories are almost always in need of being wormed. If they were kept at the lfs with any wild caught fish, may have shared their internal parasite friends.

Some thoughts & possibilities.

Thanks for responding. I am using the API liquid tests but they do need replacing. I’ll order more from
Amazon today.

As far as parasites go, good idea. I’ll research that. Thank you.

The silly/sick one is swimming fine this morning.

I checked and the liquid tests are good. It occurred to me that the tank might be too hot (80°) so I lowered it and am aiming for 78°. One website says no more than 78° for Julli Corydoras. Let’s see it that helps.

Update: the tank is stable now at 78° and I’m seeing much more vigorous activity from all three Cories and the Betta.

Back
Top Bottom