Silver tip sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdneck21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here 2 days ago one of my silver tip sharks died, now the other one is doing the exact same thing, there dorsal fin turns red from blood maybe? And there other fin looks chewed up, is this a sign of agree sion from another fish? Note that these two were the biggest fish in my tank along with a black ghost knifefish, ANY IDEAS?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank size? How long has it been running? Need all the details

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

36 gallon the tanks been running for 2 weeks now, just put them in a week and a half ago

Your tank is not cycled, you need to read up on properly cycling a tank.

And tanks sizes, stocking numbers of fish as previously discussed. So 33% uncycled, 33% stock level, 33% tank size, 1% human error.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

What is the salinity level in the tank? They are brackish fish and need a high salt concentration or they die within a week or two

Really I never read anywhere that they were a brackish fish I had them in regular freshwater no salt

And tanks sizes, stocking numbers of fish as previously discussed. So 33% uncycled, 33% stock level, 33% tank size, 1% human error.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

+1 to these. A black ghost knife once full size needs like a 125+ gallon to swim comfortably.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Yep they need salt, a lot of places like petsmart and big box stores sells them as freshwater but they are not. A sign of not enough salt is red bloody streaks and white patches all over. If you are planning on keeping these guys you need a cycled tank, a hydrometer and make sure salt level sits at about 1.1 and a bigger tank. If healthy they will get to just under a foot in one year. They also require at least 200 gallons when full grown as these catfish can get around two feet.
Natalia

Well that sucks I didn't even know they are both dead unfortunately if I would of known I would have never purchased them **** fish stores

Back
Top Bottom