single white raised sore near tetra's gill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
This one green tetra has looked strange since I got him, nearly a year ago. He had these darker patches on him. Yet he still swam around with the rest, eating, and acted fine. So I thought, okay, he's never acted sick, maybe he just has funny coloring.

I looked online and never found any disease that fit him.

Minutes ago, after months, he has developed a white spot - not ich mind you, I know what that looks like, grains of salt, this is a single white sore. Can't figure out what it is. Not red like an anchor worm. Some kind of tumor? Oh, and he's breathing fast too now.

Do I pull him out of there?

I have always kept the tank lightly salted, one table spoon per gallon, to prevent most disease and parasites.

Okay, checked on him this morning and he's not dead yet, but whatever it is, it seems to be getting larger. It looks like a canker sore is spreading across his side?

How are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)? It sounds like an ulcer (bacterial infection).

I buy my water from the fish store. It's really good water he filters it 4 times. Honestly, this one fish has never been well since I got him. Surprised he made it this long. Hope it hasn't spread to the others.

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If not, bring a sample to the lfs & ask them to test it for you (they ususally do this for free). I suspect something is amiss with your water quality. You probably need to do some more pwcs & consider adding some melafix to help the sore.

I just did a water change the day before this happened.

I looked up ulcers and it said it can be limited to just one fish who has health issues. Which this little guy always had from the beginning.

Ok. Get your water tested so you have some idea what is going on in your tank (or consider getting an API fw test kit) & consider giving the melafix a try.

The water is tested at the lfs. I buy the water from the lfs and have watched them test it.

Put in a call to the LFS - they said Nitrites are 0, Ammonia is 0, everything is 0, it's pure Ionized water.

The ionizing process instantly neutralizes all pathogens, bacteria, viruses, fungi, algae, metals and pollutants.

So whatever it was, it sure as heck wasn't the water. Which leaves up the question - so what was wrong with this fish? Musta been sick from the original breeders.

Back
Top Bottom