skinny GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed today that one of my GBRs looks thinner and pale, while the other looks fine (rather plump, actually). This is a recent development, as they both looked the same a week or so ago. I've had the two for about 6 weeks, and they have been quite happy. The tank lights are off now, but I can try and get a picture tomorrow. Any ideas? I had a tiger barb that was skinny for a while but now is fat and growing. Tank is a 55 gallon, heavily planted, temp 78-80, pH about 6.5, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate about 10-15 ppm (I add NO3 for the plants, they rip through it pretty quick).

That's tough, I recently lost my male GBR after having him for almost 8 months, it broke my heart. I lost the female while I was on vacation and he never seemed to be the same after that. He started to get thin and pale looking about a week and half before he passed away but he was still eating, not as much though. What I noticed was, he'd take his food and go behind one of the bushes and eat it. He loved sinking shrimp pellets and he grab one and then go eat it in the back, something he never did until close to the end.

Do you have a quarantine tank? I wonder if it's bacterial and maybe you could treat it with some Melafix or Primfix, just a thought. If I had a QT that's what I would have done.

Good luck!
Linca

I do not have a QT....I guess I could reshuffle my betta into something else for a while, but I am scared at the thought of trying to catch a fish in my 55 gallon jungle. But if I have to, I have to. I don't want to lose the GBR, they are such cute little fishies.

Back
Top Bottom