Skinny ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it ok for my ram to be this thin or should I be feeding him more?

image-4128397729.jpg

Just noticed it! Sick perhaps? He has been recovering from fin rot, so I have not been feeding as much / often. He seems ok other than sometimes resting on the bottom in the gravel.

Just seems kind of picky. Spit out the tubifex I just fed. Will try flake tomorrow.

Wait to see if he is hiding, if he is hiding, I would suspect flukes or a tape worm. Try frozen brine shrimp to see how he reacts. If he does not eat them, he is definitely sick with what I suspect is an internal parasite. Formalin or metro has always worked for me. Remember to keep up with WC and changing your water on a regular basis. If your carbon is more than 4 weeks old, I suggest replacing it with fresh.
Good luck!
D

K thanks! I will see if he eats tomorrow and should be able to get the frozen brine soon. Contagious? Do I need to treat my whole tank? My Plecostamus had clear poop! I moved him to a 20 gallon.

Fin rot is usually bacterial. Formalin 36% administered 3 times per week should take care if it. remember after using formalin, a LWC is required. Add air when using formalin as it steals O2 from the water. Metro will also work, but again, fon rot is usually causec by poor water quality. Do a 30% WC every other day for 10 days should take of the problem.
D

So what do you think about moving the ram to the 20 w/ Plecostamus and just treating them?

Fin rot will generally heal on its own with clean water and good parameters, I would recommend moving the ram to its own tank however so it won't have to compete for food.

He ate the flake food! Does not seem to be hiding. I guess I will move him next pwc just to be safe.

Metronitrazole or metro is a good general cure for most bacterial and fungal infections. Most LFS have it, or at least stock foods that contain it. When using any types of meds, be sure to discontinue charcoal in your filtration for it will filter out the meds you are trying to administer. Finally, after treating with any meds, a LWC is required.
Good Luck!
D

Prazi can be hard on mollusks, so it you have snails, it may kill them.
I had the same problems months back. Killed the bugs, but also killed my Nerite snails as well.
D

No snails. I killed them along time ago. Mystery snails - shells kept turning white and falling apart. I forgot to shake meds "vigorously." Think it will matter?

No it will not matter. The water circulation will take care of it. You will need to do a LWC after dosing Prazi. About 50% over a couple of days will be adequate.
D

I poured it in my hob's yesterday. Metro the day before. How long should I leave it before doing a pwc / redose / start charcoal?

1. Dose and then wait 24 hours.
2. Do a water change and wait 24 hours.
3. Dose again 24 hours later.
Then repeat these steps again over a 9 day period.
The last step will be a LWC on day 9.

Good luck!
D

What's wrong w/ directions on bottle? It says to wait three days before redosing and doesn't mention water change. I'm treating 80 gallons. I don't think I have that much. Or do you mean just treat the amount I am replacing - 50%?

With the water changes, you remove the toxins from the things you are killing in your tank.
In addition, the directions give you guidance whereby the concentrations of meds degrade over this period of time. With my method, they stay strong and are turned off like a light switch. No bugs have any time to build up any resistance. If any are left, they are dosed at full strength again. And in the final phase if anything is even remotely left over, the final phase is the Mike tyson KO. Followed by a 40 gallon water change to kick start all of the BB and O2 multiplication and saturation. There are tons of methods and techniques out there. I work with Discus fish, and these methods work well with them. Be sure to vacuum the bottom before each WC to remove dead waste. If you are using charcoal, you will need to discontinue when dosing meds. Once the problem has cleared, you can go back to using carbon in your filters. Just be sure to change out your carbon every 3-4 weeks. Leave your BB in your ceramic rings, bioballs etc undisturbed. Your tank will rebound in no time.
Good Luck!!!
D

K thanks I will do the 1st water change tomorrow. 50 % - then do I just need to treat enough for the water I am changing or the whole tank again? Also, can discus live in a ph of 8?

A bit confused here. treat the whole tank...then do the vacuumung and water changes.
Finally, Discus require a lot of time and can be quite delicate to water and envirinmental conditions. Discus require the highest of water standards and filtration.
Discus can tolerate a PH of 8 but it is definitely NOT recommended. Discus prefer soft water and a PH of 6.0 to 6.8. I usually hover around 6.5 at 84-86 degrees. My water changes are 30 gallons at a time, 3 times per week (90 of 135 gallons). I run an airstone at night, and my tank is pretty heavily planted. I have PICs that you are welcome to view in one of my public albums. If you are thinking of Discus.....there can be lots of heatache and expense. On the other hand, it can be quite beautiful and rewarding. Not for the inexperienced or impulse decision. My advice about Discus is...READ....READ....READ!

Back
Top Bottom