Skinny rummynose tetra...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As my title suggests I have two rummynose tetras that look malnourished or skinny. Their abdomens are so sunken in that their heads look like a separate segment of their body...if that makes sense.

Tank:

55 gallon
Aquaclear 110 will prefilter sponge

Water changed every week, sometimes more frequently.

These tetra are two weeks new to this tank (group of 10 total added, all 3/4 of an inch)

All parameters are normal.

Stock:

20 rummynose tetra
5 bloodfin tetra
2 GBR
3 gold rams
5 emerald corydora

Also, they are fed a variety of foods 6 days a week. This includes frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, veggies, and beef heart. I then feed algae wafers, flakes, and granules. I mix these up every week so every day is different.

After doing some of my own research I am tarting to worry it might be parasites or even fish TB...

I have no idea what I should treat with!

Please give advice on meds!

How were your rummynose tetra when you first brought them home?
I had a bad batch of rummynoses I got from a local box store that had the same thing happen. Is his nose obnoxiously red compared to the rest of your rummys?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They looked fine. And they all colored up within a few hours.

He swims with the pack normally. Poos and eats as normal. I just noticed the sunken stomach a 2 days ago.

Finally managed a pic.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409876580.185190.jpg

They are incredibly hard to get a good picture of, I definitely understand you there.
There are any number of things that it could be, I would quarantine him, if possible and keep a close eye on the others, maybe try a salt bath and frequent water changes? I honestly wouldn't jump into medicating a whole feature tank with out giving some isolation time and salt baths.

Never done a salt bath before...what is the procedure?

Do you think it is too late to isolate? What ever this fish has has likely spread to the other fish already.

I also want to avoid medicating the whole tank, but I also want to avoid losing all my fish in this tank.

I understand completely, I had a parasitic outbreak in my 300g cichlid tank that took my 2 year old tiger oscar, 3 silver dollars and one of my pimodella cats before I got it under control. My 3 1/2 year old orange oscar is still scarred from it. I would still isolate the obviously sick and watch for any other species being affected...
I've always used either aquarium salt or Epsom salt (though I have heard of straight NaCl being used with success) at a tablespoon per 5g of water dip them for up to a half hour using water directly from the tank works best, I've found, to reduce stress and give the motivation to change that 5g of water....

Went to move this fish and found him dead. Couldn't have been dead long, maybe 10 minutes since I last checked on it.

Removed him and took a good look at him. No obvious external parasites. He did have missing scales on his tail end. The rest of his scales just came right off when I touched his front side.

I guess I just have to etch the rest now.

Sorry about your loss. Keep a good eye out on the rest of the tank. Hopefully it will be better from here on out.

Sorry to hear that.

What your fish was suffering appears to be under the general category of "wasting disease." My understanding is that parasites and TB comprise the majority of these cases. Hopefully your fish had the former.

My LFS had a tank of Jellybean Tetras, Neons, and Sterbai Corys. The Jellybeans were new and came form the supplier with the same concave-belly symptoms that you've seen (given how skinny healthy Jellys are, you can imagine how crazy-looking these individuals were). They treated the tank for two weeks with some sort of parasite medication. I don't believe that the Jellys survived, but the Neons and corys looked fine a few weeks later.

You may want to consider treating the rest of your tank for parasites as a precautionary measure.

Any pointers for what medicine to use?

Never used anything but ich attack and only once, never again bc I realized heat is way more effective.

Anyways, I have no idea what meds to use for this....

I am worried others are starting to become thin.

Hukit has a disease and treatment feature located in the portal link, it's a decent article with a couple good links. I have had ok luck with seachem paraguard as a preventative in my quarantine tank.

Any pointers for what medicine to use?

Never used anything but ich attack and only once, never again bc I realized heat is way more effective.

Anyways, I have no idea what meds to use for this....

I am worried others are starting to become thin.

I've never treated for parasites before, but I would immediately separate those skinny fish from your healthy ones. Whatever your dead fish had appears to be spreading.

Good luck.

alright, I have read the disease article and since I have not seen any obvious signs of parasites on their body or in their poo, so I am going for the boosting their immune system option.

There are just too many specific medications and I really have no idea what particular parasite is causing this. Getting medicated flakes for every option would be expensive and probably risky to mix meds.

This being said, here is my plan of action:

-begin feeding additional garlic flakes, or just my new life spectrum small granules (+ garlic juice)

-increase temp to mid 80's (was at 80F)

-Do large (50%) water changes every other day. Carefully vacuuming the sand each time...hopefully to suck up any parasites or cysts of parasites.

-Dose with Paraguard... just as a broad spectrum aid. I have read many good recommendations for this

-Remove obviously wasting/thinning fish.

Any other recommendations, alterations, or additions to my plan?

alright, I have read the disease article and since I have not seen any obvious signs of parasites on their body or in their poo, so I am going for the boosting their immune system option.

The fact that you cannot visibly see the parasite doesn't mean that it isn't there. The fish that died in your tank most likely had either an internal parasite or TB. For your sake, I hope that it was the former. Running the gravel vac more often and doing a gazillion water changes isn't going to solve the problem. You need to aggressively medicate your tank.

I agree that Paraguard may be a good place to start, but your best bet is to visit your LFS, explain the symptoms, and let them try to point you in the right direction. You need to medicate the entire tank, especially if some of your other fish are showing symptoms. And, yes, definitely isolate the apparently sick individuals.

PS/FYI. don't forget to remove the carbon filter. ( I forgot 1st day I used paraguard)

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

The fact that you cannot visibly see the parasite doesn't mean that it isn't there. The fish that died in your tank most likely had either an internal parasite or TB. For your sake, I hope that it was the former. Running the gravel vac more often and doing a gazillion water changes isn't going to solve the problem. You need to aggressively medicate your tank.

I agree that Paraguard may be a good place to start, but your best bet is to visit your LFS, explain the symptoms, and let them try to point you in the right direction. You need to medicate the entire tank, especially if some of your other fish are showing symptoms. And, yes, definitely isolate the apparently sick individuals.

I understand what you are saying about the visibility of the parasites.

I realize that there is something there, but how am I suppose to decide what medication to use with sunken stomach as the only symptom.

If it is TB then there is no cure. They all will eventually die.

If it is a different parasite I have no clues as to which medicine is best and there are many options based on the type of parasite.

If you would like to recommend a specific medication, medicated food, or a broad spectrum internal parasite med I would appreciate that.

My options are either a petco, petsmart, or a really terrible LFS. This is why I order online. I have no good options where I am located. I have looked for even a pond supply place and they just carry food. There are no experts to ask questions. This is why I am asking on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom