Skittish and stressed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I used to have baby cichlids in this 30 gallon Bf tank and they used to be SUPER skittish. Once they grew big enough to go in my friends tank, off they went. I then bought these rosy barbs and 3 GBR 6 months ago. Ever since then the rosy barbs have been skittish and the GBR ALWAYS show their stress lines.
The rosy barbs also smack at the surface. Doesn't quite seem like their gasping though.
My params are
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
PH - 7.2
(Tested with API liquid test kit).

I have 2 large pieces of drift wood and quite a bit of plants. What am I doing wrong?

Is there anything new in the tank or in a busy part of the house showing any symptoms of being sick or injured maybe try keeping the lights off for a day or 2

Is there anything new in the tank or in a busy part of the house showing any symptoms of being sick or injured maybe try keeping the lights off for a day or 2

They're in my room so very minimal traffic. And they've been like this for about 6 months and are otherwise healthy.

I think the problem with my GBR are the rosy barbs being skittish, which is stressing them out. Ill try to keep the light off.

They're in my room so very minimal traffic. And they've been like this for about 6 months and are otherwise healthy.

I think the problem with my GBR are the rosy barbs being skittish, which is stressing them out. Ill try to keep the light off.

Hmm are they only ones in the tank

Well I got the drop on my fish today. I sat from my door and say a bright blue male GBR. I go up to the tank and he immediately loses his blue sheen and shows stress lines. Yet he eagerly goes up to the top of the tank to eat.

Well I got the drop on my fish today. I sat from my door and say a bright blue male GBR. I go up to the tank and he immediately loses his blue sheen and shows stress lines. Yet he eagerly goes up to the top of the tank to eat.

Hmm interesting how long have you had him

Hmm interesting how long have you had him

3-6 months. I don't really remember but it's been a while. I've always had this problem. Sometimes I walk in and they have stress lines but great me. Sometimes I walk in they all go really skittish and swim into a corner really fast. Which my old stocking list used to do that EVERYTIME I walked in.

My angelfish is really chill though

3-6 months. I don't really remember but it's been a while. I've always had this problem. Sometimes I walk in and they have stress lines but great me. Sometimes I walk in they all go really skittish and swim into a corner really fast. Which my old stocking list used to do that EVERYTIME I walked in.

My angelfish is really chill though

How many hiding spots are in the tank you said you had plants is it heavily planted maybe a pic of your tank too

Here's the tank. Tommorow I can get a more recent one. It now has more plants but the hard scape is the same.

Attachments

• image-3108859112.jpg
    image-3108859112.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 58
Hmm maybe adding some rocks to make caves might make em feel better

What type of rocks would you suggest.?There honestly isn't much room left. There's about 3-5 inches behind the driftwood. And the front is going to be covered by hydrocotyle sp. Japan pretty soon.

What type of rocks would you suggest.?There honestly isn't much room left. There's about 3-5 inches behind the driftwood. And the front is going to be covered by hydrocotyle sp. Japan pretty soon.

Maybe small slate stacked to make caves gbrs are more bottom fish correct maybe put half a PVC pipe into the sand or Terra cotta pot if not that much room and you can cover it with your substrate to hide either one

Back
Top Bottom