Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Slime disease?

I had to move all my fish into an 18 gallon bin as a temporary home while I fixed a cracked tank.

well, yesterday I was moving them back into the newly set up tank. When I noticed a molly was missing. Well I found her under a decoration covered in white slime.

I just assumed she had been dead for awhile. It was hard to see all of the fish while they were in the bin.

Then I noticed white spots all over a red minor tetra... He died less than two hours later.

I moved them all back to into the forty gallon tank and they seemed to be doing alright. Then this morning I woke up and one of the mollies was completely covered in slime. She died twenty minutes after I first saw her...

Several weeks ago I found little white worms swimming in my tank... I thought they were harmless.

Help please.
That's three fish in twelve hours.
__________________

__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
Start treating your tank and do water changes. It might of been a parasite then. Maybe add some aquarium salt too.
__________________

__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
I would add something for slime coat.. Might be some issue with that too.
__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Do you think it's too late to save them? I'd it is what I think it is... It says they'll die within 48-72 hours...
__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael95 View Post
Do you think it's too late to save them? I'd it is what I think it is... It says they'll die within 48-72 hours...
It's always worth trying..hopefully it just effected them and not your others..at the very least I would do a big water change.
__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Found two more dead this afternoon. The others seem to be getting worse. I accidentally spread it to my betta tank too.
__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PockX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael95 View Post
Found two more dead this afternoon. The others seem to be getting worse. I accidentally spread it to my betta tank too.
It might be something you can't help now should of acted when you first saw it.. You do that water change? Examine their dead bodies on the outside so you can see it better
__________________
PockX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Yeah, I did. And did a treatment. I don't think it helped. One more this morning.
__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
However, my betta seems to be doing much better.
__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,884
Tank Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael95 View Post
I had to move all my fish into an 18 gallon bin as a temporary home while I fixed a cracked tank.

well, yesterday I was moving them back into the newly set up tank. When I noticed a molly was missing. Well I found her under a decoration covered in white slime.

I just assumed she had been dead for awhile. It was hard to see all of the fish while they were in the bin.

Then I noticed white spots all over a red minor tetra... He died less than two hours later.

I moved them all back to into the forty gallon tank and they seemed to be doing alright. Then this morning I woke up and one of the mollies was completely covered in slime. She died twenty minutes after I first saw her...

Several weeks ago I found little white worms swimming in my tank... I thought they were harmless.

Help please.
That's three fish in twelve hours.
Hello Call...

Apparently, the water conditions in the small container allowed a parasite to infect the fish. Parasites live in a dormant state in most tanks waiting for a mistake in tank management. This usually means a poor water chemistry.

Large, frequent water changes of half the tank volume every 3 to 4 days will be needed. I'd recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water. No more, you don't want to damage your aquatic plants. Make the new water a bit warmer too. Raise the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees and add a small filter. One that hangs on the back is fine. You want to increase the oxygen that's mixed in the tank water. Do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. If you have a parasite infection, a number of them will be living there.

Feed a very nutritious diet, but just a bit every couple of days. Frozen Brine and Mysis shrimp are very good. Feed a bit of minced garlic too. It's high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

It would be good for the tank in general to add some Anacharis and Pennywort. These are floating stem plants that naturally filter the water and the thick cover and the bit of salt will calm the sick fish.

Follow these steps until you see improvement. Any of these can be followed indefinitely.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
CallMeIshmael95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
I think I finally got rid of it. Thanks for all your help. I ended up losing ten fish. I have eight left. One of my mollies is still flashing pretty bad so I've continued doing treatments to try to help her. Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
CallMeIshmael95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disease, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×