Slime disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had to move all my fish into an 18 gallon bin as a temporary home while I fixed a cracked tank.

well, yesterday I was moving them back into the newly set up tank. When I noticed a molly was missing. Well I found her under a decoration covered in white slime.

I just assumed she had been dead for awhile. It was hard to see all of the fish while they were in the bin.

Then I noticed white spots all over a red minor tetra... He died less than two hours later.

I moved them all back to into the forty gallon tank and they seemed to be doing alright. Then this morning I woke up and one of the mollies was completely covered in slime. She died twenty minutes after I first saw her...

Several weeks ago I found little white worms swimming in my tank... I thought they were harmless.

Help please.
That's three fish in twelve hours.

Start treating your tank and do water changes. It might of been a parasite then. Maybe add some aquarium salt too.

I would add something for slime coat.. Might be some issue with that too.

Do you think it's too late to save them? I'd it is what I think it is... It says they'll die within 48-72 hours...

Do you think it's too late to save them? I'd it is what I think it is... It says they'll die within 48-72 hours...

It's always worth trying..hopefully it just effected them and not your others..at the very least I would do a big water change.

Found two more dead this afternoon. The others seem to be getting worse. I accidentally spread it to my betta tank too.

Found two more dead this afternoon. The others seem to be getting worse. I accidentally spread it to my betta tank too.

It might be something you can't help now :( should of acted when you first saw it.. You do that water change? Examine their dead bodies on the outside so you can see it better

Yeah, I did. And did a treatment. I don't think it helped. One more this morning.

Tank Problem

I had to move all my fish into an 18 gallon bin as a temporary home while I fixed a cracked tank.

well, yesterday I was moving them back into the newly set up tank. When I noticed a molly was missing. Well I found her under a decoration covered in white slime.

I just assumed she had been dead for awhile. It was hard to see all of the fish while they were in the bin.

Then I noticed white spots all over a red minor tetra... He died less than two hours later.

I moved them all back to into the forty gallon tank and they seemed to be doing alright. Then this morning I woke up and one of the mollies was completely covered in slime. She died twenty minutes after I first saw her...

Several weeks ago I found little white worms swimming in my tank... I thought they were harmless.

Help please.
That's three fish in twelve hours.

Hello Call...

Apparently, the water conditions in the small container allowed a parasite to infect the fish. Parasites live in a dormant state in most tanks waiting for a mistake in tank management. This usually means a poor water chemistry.

Large, frequent water changes of half the tank volume every 3 to 4 days will be needed. I'd recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of the new, treated tap water. No more, you don't want to damage your aquatic plants. Make the new water a bit warmer too. Raise the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees and add a small filter. One that hangs on the back is fine. You want to increase the oxygen that's mixed in the tank water. Do a good job of vacuuming the substrate. If you have a parasite infection, a number of them will be living there.

Feed a very nutritious diet, but just a bit every couple of days. Frozen Brine and Mysis shrimp are very good. Feed a bit of minced garlic too. It's high in vitamins and a natural antibiotic.

It would be good for the tank in general to add some Anacharis and Pennywort. These are floating stem plants that naturally filter the water and the thick cover and the bit of salt will calm the sick fish.

Follow these steps until you see improvement. Any of these can be followed indefinitely.

B

I think I finally got rid of it. Thanks for all your help. I ended up losing ten fish. I have eight left. One of my mollies is still flashing pretty bad so I've continued doing treatments to try to help her. Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom