Slowly losing aquarium help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Initial post here with pics:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/white-spots-on-head-and-cloudy-eyes-335474.html

basic run down: have a 75 gallon freshwater tank with Cories, Pleco, Australian Rainbowfish, Bosemani Rainbowfish and Red Eye Tetras

Ph between 7.6-7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20-30

Temp 76

I lost 3 cories recently. They had fin rot so I upped the cleanings.

After cleaning I added extra de chlorinator (Prime). There have been no more cories deaths and all fin rot seems to have stopped.

Yesterday I noticed one of my females has some white spots (not ICH, not fuzzy) on her head and both eyes are a bit cloudy. I have had her for 2-3 yrs.

Did a run with Kanaplex with no results.

Noticed a cory also had whitish skin (I wouldn't say it was fuzz) on his back and did a round of Kanaplex and Furan 2.

I have wanted to up the salt but have a Pleco and Cories so I was hesitant. I think I should have heard plecos are ok with salt and that they need less salt. Need exact measurements.

I would dare say my fishes scales and fins are rotting away. Can't say for sure. This has been going on for a month so I wouldn't think it was Colomnaris.

I have had:
a dead cory that looks like he had some red spots.
a dead cory that looked like he wasted away

I have now:
a female rainbow fish with white on her head and eyes, fin rot, dropsy and she is pine coned.

a cory with either fuzz or dissolving scales and popeye

2 cories with popeye

a few other rainbows and tetras with fin rot.

some have a little black spot here and there but NOT a lot at all so I don't think that is anything. Any ideas? This tank has been stable for years so I am really bummed about this.

There is a chance that it is Fish Tuberculosis I hope it isn't and am reading up on it more. If it is I have been battling this for a few years and it was introduced to this tank by cross contamination. :(

If there is any advice anyone can give me I'll take it.
Thanks

First rule of fish keeping. Keep your tank clean, as in do regular water changes and clean filter and don't over feed. A lot of your problems is due to water quality being poor and this is a sign of neglect.

Rule 2, don't medicate all willy nilly... You are only doing more harm when your medicating without know what's wrong. Meds are generally pretty harsh on fish and your beneficial bacteria.

Up your water changes, feed high quality foods, keep the tank clean.

Seriously my water parameters are in normal parameters. They have been for years. I test weekly. I change every other week or weekly at times.

I don't treat willy nilly. A lot of thought and research went into the two treatments I've given in the last 29 days. It is the first round of meds this tank has ever received.

I feed omega one and frozen foods.

I bust my *** to take care of my tank and it has lasted many years.

Your response does not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seriously my water parameters are in normal parameters. They have been for years. I test weekly. I change every other week or weekly at times.

I don't treat willy nilly. A lot of thought and research went into the two treatments I've given in the last 29 days and the first treatments these fish have ever received.

I feed omega one and frozen foods.

I bust my *** to take care of my tank and it has lasted many years.

This response does not help.

Following, it all sounds bacterial but thinking on type (it's late here).

I'd continue with kanaplax and furan 2 together. How long did you treat for with last round?

Not sure on cories. Bn catfish I've dosed 2 to 3 tablespoons per 5 gall (dosed a teaspoon per 5 gal, and then increased dose every day by a tablespoon). No issues. Catfish in there for a week or more.

Extra water changes will always help as well to freshen tank and reduce organic matter.

Any ideas on what set it off?

First rule of fish keeping. Keep your tank clean, as in do regular water changes and clean filter and don't over feed. A lot of your problems is due to water quality being poor and this is a sign of neglect.

Rule 2, don't medicate all willy nilly... You are only doing more harm when your medicating without know what's wrong. Meds are generally pretty harsh on fish and your beneficial bacteria.

While a true statement that did come off as quite rude...

Have you added ANYTHING new to the tank recently besides medication?

Caleb

Following, it all sounds bacterial but thinking on type.
I'd continue with kanaplax and furan 2 together. How long did you treat for with last round?
Extra water changes will always help as well to freshen tank and reduce organic matter.
Any ideas on what set it off?
need to know how long you treated and at what dose?
Sorry more haven't offered any new advice.
Do you run carbon on your tank?
I am normally all against it with out a reason.
Possibly(reaching far in your favor) there is something in your water that carbon will remove (a contaminent from the source water?).
Otherwise keep temp down and treat for columnaris again!
It is not always fluffy , why doesn't anyone get this?
There are at least 4 strains of columnaris ONE that shows no symptoms until around 24 hours before death.

It was the context. I reread and didn't see a glaring issue. Some more explanation would help. Otherwise water changes - check, good foods - check, not going overboard on meds - all good points.

need to know how long you treated and at what dose?
Sorry more haven't offered any new advice.
Do you run carbon on your tank?
I am normally all against it with out a reason.
Possibly(reaching far in your favor) there is something in your water that carbon will remove (a contaminent from the source water?).
Otherwise keep temp down and treat for columnaris again!
It is not always fluffy , why doesn't anyone get this?
There are at least 4 strains of columnaris ONE that shows no symptoms until around 24 hours before death.

Um, probably inexperience on my part but I can't go with columnaris if I can't recognise it. And it's not like I treat for that every year. I know it's common and many types but the cloudy eyes I wonder on. Wondered if that could be something else or in addition.

Hence I just said bacterial. Would this change my treatment plan and particularly duration? Well not really.

Anyways I totally respect you saying it is columnaris, I'm just not there yet :)

Um, probably inexperience on my part but I can't go with columnaris if I can't recognise it. And it's not like I treat for that every year. I know it's common and many types but the cloudy eyes I wonder on. Wondered if that could be something else or in addition.

Hence I just said bacterial. Would this change my treatment plan and particularly duration? Well not really.

Anyways I totally respect you saying it is columnaris, I'm just not there yet :)

Often the initial symptoms of an issue are missed and a "secondary "infection takes hold and the symptoms of that are much more clearly noticeable(I know you know.).:cool:
This is a possible explanation for symptoms not matching columnaris.:facepalm:
I'll add without proper medical exam(some needing to be done after death {necropsy} or from tissue sample most of us are just guessing.:eek:
I am guessing!:dance:
BUT the treatments for my guess will also work for a large number of other issues(wouldn't that be really lucky) if I was wrong.:brows:
You did mention this would probably NOT change your treatment plan or duration? So I think you agree with me but want to understand my choice?(y)
So I say columnaris , seems almost daily lately.
Funny since I think due to global issues and fish farm practices that this(columnaris) will be the disease(in aquatics) of the decade if not century.
But if I'm wrong I hope I added a proper necessary treatment for what ever NO ONE else recognises.:thanks:

Totally on the side(not sent to you in particular D:flowers:)
People seem all too happy to shove "purple pills" or whatever down their own throats for what ever reason.
Using real meds on fish for a real cause is not just using meds "willy nilly" as I read in another thread.
If you feel there is an issue(with you or your fish)proper treatment I believe is "reasonable" .
When I think there is something wrong with MY fish it is ALL on me to make it right.
I want what is best and am NOT afraid to use real meds or make hard choices since there haven't been a whole lot of other choices offered!
One of the real TRICKS to disease control in aquaria is QUICK recognition and treatment,so the time spent wondering about being 100% correct can be the time it takes to lose control over an easily killed infection.
I over think almost everything.
Simple is easier.
Easier is better.
Probably almost out of space so I should end my rant!!!

Initial post here with pics:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/white-spots-on-head-and-cloudy-eyes-335474.html

basic run down: have a 75 gallon freshwater tank with Cories, Pleco, Australian Rainbowfish, Bosemani Rainbowfish and Red Eye Tetras

Ph between 7.6-7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20-30

Temp 76

I lost 3 cories recently. They had fin rot so I upped the cleanings.

After cleaning I added extra de chlorinator (Prime). There have been no more cories deaths and all fin rot seems to have stopped.

Yesterday I noticed one of my females has some white spots (not ICH, not fuzzy) on her head and both eyes are a bit cloudy. I have had her for 2-3 yrs.

Did a run with Kanaplex with no results.

Noticed a cory also had whitish skin (I wouldn't say it was fuzz) on his back and did a round of Kanaplex and Furan 2.

I have wanted to up the salt but have a Pleco and Cories so I was hesitant. I think I should have heard plecos are ok with salt and that they need less salt. Need exact measurements.

I would dare say my fishes scales and fins are rotting away. Can't say for sure. This has been going on for a month so I wouldn't think it was Colomnaris.

I have had:
a dead cory that looks like he had some red spots.
a dead cory that looked like he wasted away

I have now:
a female rainbow fish with white on her head and eyes, fin rot, dropsy and she is pine coned.

a cory with either fuzz or dissolving scales and popeye

2 cories with popeye

a few other rainbows and tetras with fin rot.

some have a little black spot here and there but NOT a lot at all so I don't think that is anything. Any ideas? This tank has been stable for years so I am really bummed about this.

There is a chance that it is Fish Tuberculosis I hope it isn't and am reading up on it more. If it is I have been battling this for a few years and it was introduced to this tank by cross contamination. :(

If there is any advice anyone can give me I'll take it.
Thanks
Sounds like a combination of bacterial and parasitic conditions. Black spots on fish usually indicate parasites. Fin Rot is bacterial. I found a couple of links that may be useful to you.

Aquarium Fish Diseases and How to Spot Them | Tetra Aquarium

Aquarium FD - Black Spot (diplopstomiasis) - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

Often the initial symptoms of an issue are missed and a "secondary "infection takes hold and the symptoms of that are much more clearly noticeable(I know you know.).:cool:
This is a possible explanation for symptoms not matching columnaris.:facepalm:
I'll add without proper medical exam(some needing to be done after death {necropsy} or from tissue sample most of us are just guessing.:eek:
I am guessing!:dance:
BUT the treatments for my guess will also work for a large number of other issues(wouldn't that be really lucky) if I was wrong.:brows:
You did mention this would probably NOT change your treatment plan or duration? So I think you agree with me but want to understand my choice?(y)
So I say columnaris , seems almost daily lately.
Funny since I think due to global issues and fish farm practices that this(columnaris) will be the disease(in aquatics) of the decade if not century.
But if I'm wrong I hope I added a proper necessary treatment for what ever NO ONE else recognises.:thanks:

Totally on the side(not sent to you in particular D:flowers:)
People seem all too happy to shove "purple pills" or whatever down their own throats for what ever reason.
Using real meds on fish for a real cause is not just using meds "willy nilly" as I read in another thread.
If you feel there is an issue(with you or your fish)proper treatment I believe is "reasonable" .
When I think there is something wrong with MY fish it is ALL on me to make it right.
I want what is best and am NOT afraid to use real meds or make hard choices since there haven't been a whole lot of other choices offered!
One of the real TRICKS to disease control in aquaria is QUICK recognition and treatment,so the time spent wondering about being 100% correct can be the time it takes to lose control over an easily killed infection.
I over think almost everything.
Simple is easier.
Easier is better.
Probably almost out of space so I should end my rant!!!

All good, yeah I thought your post made a lot of sense. Interesting one. Good luck to the OP.

Back
Top Bottom