Small hole in gouramis fin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a small whole i my gouramis fin. Im dont think its fin rot, because doesnt that start from the outside and work in? I cant quarintine him, because ive got to cherr barbs in the qt already being treated for an internal parasite. Ill test the water right now and post the results.

EDIT:The fish is eating normally and acting pretty much normal. (he is a tiny bit slow, but not much)

~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). ---small (about a millimeter long) whole in pelvic fin. Also a transparent section on the feller thing. Although i think that was there before.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. --- ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 7.4
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? ---24 gallon set up since late november, cycled since january
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. --- aquaclear 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? ---10 fish 4 cherry barbs (other two in qt for internal parisite) 3 zebra danios 2 peppered coories and the gourami
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? ---How much water do you remove at a time? 2weeks ago. I usually do once a wek but i was busy. 30%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? first fish i got, so january.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? --- Nutrafin flakes bloodworms stwice a week, and he also likes the cories food. Also gave the main tank some anti parasite food so that they dont get what the cherry barbs have.

One more thing, just recently his"buddy" the female dwarf gourami dide of unknown causes, so he was acting abit lonley for a while but i thought he was getting better.

Keep an eye on him and see if it gets worse. Lots of times things like that will resolve themselves. He could have gotten nicked on something in the tank, or who knows. Keep up on water changes to make sure it doesn't get infected.

This is SO BIZARRE - almost the exact same thing happened to me - I had 2 male gouramis. One day, I noticed the exact same kind of "hole" you are describing, only his was on his dorsal fin. It was close to the body so I didn't think it was fin rot.

People here suggested it may be a battle wound and told me to try treating with Melafix.

Please forgive me for being a downer, but unfortunately for some reason, my little guy never got better - he got a weird looking place on his head too and then about a week later he died.

Keep a close eye on him and keep us posted!!!!!! If yours gets better, then that will give me hope and I'll know what to do if it ever happens again. :)

oh NO now I feel bad like I jinxed him :oops:

When mine had this, people told me to MELAFIX. Give it a try - maybe someone else will chime in with a different thought....

Well, the whole has broke through the edge of the fin,its about 2 milimeters long now, but i still dont think is fin rot for two reasons.

1. it started in the middle of the fin, which doesnt make sense.

2 the fish is still active and eating normally.

But i dont know much so i could be wrong. what does everyone else think?

Back
Top Bottom