Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Small hole in new Betta's fins..

Today I got a new male Betta, and after I released him into his tank, I realized he has a small hole (or like a very small tear) in one of his fins. He is from one of those little cups with the blue water, so I figure he hasn't had the best of care.. He is however very active and healthy looking otherwise. I was wondering if with clean and proper water conditions and a good diet, will this just heal on its own? Or do I need to do something else to help it? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, clean water and a good diet. It is probably the start of fin rot, and one of my bettas had the same thing. It looked like a little pin hole, and I keep his water clean and it went away. You will be amazed at how fast their fins can grow back!
Congrats on your new baby!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are usually from flaring at the other fish. Keep the water clean and high protein food will make it heal. I usually keep my bettas in a large bowl 2 gallon for a few weeks to keep a very close eye on them, I have found a couple of hours of morning sun really makes them heal faster.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! I checked him this morning and it already looks smaller... It's amazing how just a clean home for one day can help!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Maby clean your tank daily for a few days, make sure no sharp/jagged objects are in your tank, such as Rocks. Also maby feed him some treats (Use a search engine to search for food treats), and prahaps use clorine killers in his tank whenever you clean it.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, don't change his diet too much. You can feed him a few bloodworms and some boiled, de-shelled peas once a week, but keep his staple pellets. And with clean water, you will see his fins heal, like you already are. The water they are in in the pet store is disgusting, as I am sure you saw.
If your tank is 5G or smaller, you should chage 50% of the water twice a week. If it's bigger, you can just change it 50% once a week.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
I have found a couple of hours of morning sun really makes them heal faster.

LOL...
Nothing like a lil' Vitamin D

Tags
betta, fins, hole

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com