Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egynoor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I have 3 snails which I guess are mystery snails. They were very active, alwyes eating and moving around. Then I dosed my tank with melafix and primafix. Since then they became very lethargic sometimes just floating there hanging to a detatched stem of my plants. They r not dead. One time, I put one of them in a plastic conatainer with my tank water just to see it closely and there was this fluffy cottony stuff hanfing from it for a while. Snail experts....any suggestions?

egynoor said:
Well, I have 3 snails which I guess are mystery snails. They were very active, alwyes eating and moving around. Then I dosed my tank with melafix and primafix. Since then they became very lethargic sometimes just floating there hanging to a detatched stem of my plants. They r not dead. One time, I put one of them in a plastic conatainer with my tank water just to see it closely and there was this fluffy cottony stuff hanfing from it for a while. Snail experts....any suggestions?

That stuff comes out of my mystery snails usually in the morning when they first come out of the shell. It's pretty disgusting to me. I was never told what it is though. I just assumed it was slime; snails are messy. I don't think it's abnormal at all.

Inverts can be more sensitive to additives than the fish. I'd move them to a hospital tank with untreated water if you can for a few days.

Maybe I'm mistaken about this then. You said fluffy cottony. How long have they sitting there? mine can go dormant for a few days and then they start moving. I haven't had any problems with them and melafix or Pimafix when I used it.

Hmm, I think the stuff that came out if mine was sand (along with slime) that he needed to get out of his shell.

Mine do the same thing George9.
OP if you think your snails are reacting to the meds I'd either remove the meds or remove the snails from the tank. What are you treating for?

Well the melafix/primafix was 2 weeks ago. Since then I did water changes...so I dont think there is much if the meds remainig. But still the snails are very lethargic, and the guy floating still floating with the same plant stem obviuosly he is feeding on...I think. And I did get them out of the tank when.I suspected they are "irritated" by the meds, thats when I noticed this fluffy thing comming out of them. They were very active before, eating all the time. U could see their teeth marks on the back glass where algae are.

ok crazy idea, may be the algae can retain some of these meds??? so when they ate them after i got them back to the tank they get sick or "irritated" again???

Back
Top Bottom