snails in tank ( I didn't buy them)`...beta acting funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie/Aggie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ammonia: 0

Ammonia tester used (salicylate or Nessler-reagent based?): nutrafin

Nitrite: ?

Nitrate: off the chart

Are you testing with dipsticks?: no

pH:7.5

KH:?

Temperature: 74

Heater: y

Aeration: y

Water change amount/frequency: 2 days ago 20 %

Tank size/how long in operation: 10 gal 3 weeks / beta with me 6-8 weeks

Filtration: y

Water additives/conditioners/pH adjusters: de-clorinator/ some salt from start up/

What, how much and how often are the fish/frogs fed: betta 3x..glass fish 2x

Tank inhabitants (number, size and type of fish/frogs):1 beta, 2 small glass fish, 2/ 1" algea eaters

New additions/changes to the tank: 2nd glass fish 4-5 days ago

Unusual findings on the fish/frog: on beta his fins seem somewhat closed up especially top one/ no rips or tears I can see

Unusual behavior: beta is staying hidden when he's usually active/ seems lethargic then shoots all over the tank in brief spurts/ will come up to eat but only takes 1 or 2 pellets (will usually eat 3-6) was actually laying on a plant

Medications/what has been tried or done do far: waste control from nutrifin 4 hrs ago,doesn't seem to have helped.

Summary of potential fish/frog stressors: when I got up this morning my tank was at 68 degrees, i may have hit my heater dial by accident. I increased the heat to 74 over a 5 hr period. ALSO I have just found out that what I thought may be waste on the bottom of the tank was in fact a snail!!! I didn't buy any snails and on further looking I found another.

Do you have any plants in your tank? I have a couple of snails that came as eggs on plants that I bought.

as a matter of fact I do have plants. One definetly could have carried them, it fell apart all over the tank, I ended up throwing it out. Are the problems with Simon, my beta, and these snails related do you think?

You need to be doing larger PWC--start with at least 50%
waste control from nutrifin 4 hrs ago,doesn't seem to have helped
Throw that away-the best way to remove waste is PWC with a gravel vacuum.

the nitrates have me worried as well, I was just coming back on to ask if I should do a pwc
how much should I change and i will also vacuum the gravel but i have sea sand on top of it. ( (sea sand is from an aquarium store and is safe)

i just noticed where it was said do 50% PWC, i'll try that now, thanks. could that be my beta problem?

Nitrates are too high as you know. I'd agree with Menagerie on both her points. Great minds think alike "-). Your betta is most likely affected by the high nitrates. Do 50% a day until the nitrates are under control. Feed a bit less as well as that will assist in keeping nitrates down. Quite often we mistakenly feed more than the fish needs resulting in uneaten rotten food.

Take the snail out as soon as possible, they will multiply quickly and soon you will have a hundred.

oh please don't tell me that about the snails I really hate them. I did a 50% change and vacuumed really well, took everything out and cleaned it, changed the filter ( it was dirty) . My nitrates just tested at between 10 & 20. I'll check again in the morning . Since I'm fairly, well ok really, new at this, is there anything else I should be doing?

Believe me if you don't want snails, get the one out of the tank ASAP. Nitrates below 20 ppm are good, 10 is better. When you test after a water change, allow a few hours to get an accurate reading.

I did in fact test the nitrates right away , I'll check again and then should I change it first thing in the morning or 24 hrs after this one?

The snails were removed right away as soon as I noticed them.

I would base my water change on what the nitrates read at. If they are still high do it in the morning, if not too bad do it later in the day.

ok, I'll do that. thanks

May5

my nitrates are at 50 this morning so I'm getting ready to do another 50% PWC. Is there anything else I should be doing? Simon seems a little better today but I haven't tried to feed him yet.
ok, i have done 2 50% water changes, one last nite and one this morning. I'm still waiting to check my nitrates but have noticed white cottony substance on my beta's nose and around his mouth. He has also stopped eating. I have only had the tank 3 weeks and did a 25% change 2 days ago. I also found that the snails were from a plant and have removed them. I've had the beta for about 2 months. HELP, what now???

Back
Top Bottom