So sad need guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

77speedyturtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. Here we go. Me an hubby got back in the hobby last jan. Before this we had discuss an angels, plus great fish supplier near us. We are in a area where there are only chain stores. As a lot of people we jumped in head first and now slamming on the brakes do to problems. We just finally setup a quarantine tank do to sickness. We have a six stage r/o system now that produce s 0_1 TDS now. Our tap was 500 plus TDS with chloromines . We remineralize the water to what ever it needs to be for proper kh an gh . The last six weeks we've been having either death or having to euthanize a fish. So sorry for rambling but want to make sure you have all info. We have a twenty gal with hob filter with intake sponge two sponge filters inside an bio balls stuffed inside. Filter is rated at 120 gph, plus a dual sponge filter. Wealky water changes of two to three gals. Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates less than20 ppm. This is a planted tank an fertilize every 5 to 6 days. We lost lemon bar killie two weeks ago out of no where,but had bloated stomach, three days later noticed ick on everyone, treated with ich_x by hikari. Unfurtantly we moved two rams to another tank before we noticed it. Will get to them in a minute. So we lost a yoyo loac h four days ago, no sign, bloated tummy, now albino shark not eating bloated stomach. I hope you all are following this and I'm giving enough info. So something is killing fish what do you think I should treat with. Also what is you opion on my quarantine tank? How much time an meds? I've read so many conflicting info on the web,I just would like some live advice. Thank you all an have a lovely day.

im not very good at diagnosing sickness but bloated bellies with pineconing scales is a thing called dropsy. it can be a real pain and can kill off large portions of a tank. its due to a weakened immune system which allowed for a bacterial infection causing a build up of fluids in the body. something has stressed the fish and allowed the bacteria to invade. agressive tank mates, poor water quality, over crowded tank and probably another 10-20 things can cause it. its usually due to aggressive tank mates or poor water quality. i had 2 blue gouramis years ago and one died due to dropsy. he was constantly harassed by the other one. again im not great at fish illness so i am not saying this is what your issue is. hopefully the grand poobah's of fish keeping will chime in. good luck and sorry to hear of your loss.

Could it be that you are buying sick fish from a chain store? What is your total stock? How long do you quarantine fish before adding them to your main tank? Are you adding pH buffers?

No appetite, bloated belly, are common early symptoms of Hexamita. I lost two awesome baby Flowerhorns to Hex. They were both from Petco. YoYo Loaches don't do well with meds. The Ick treatment might have done him in.
The Hex bug lives in the gut of most ornamental fish and is suppressed by the immune system. Over crowding, poor water conditions, aggression ( The usual suspects) cause the Hex bug population to explode, causing the noted hunger strike and death. It spreads by tankmates eating infected fecal matter.
Full disclosure; I've never been able to cure a fish infected with Hexamita. Thank goodness it's been a rare occurance. Possible cures: Foods soaked in a diluted Epsom salt solution or soaked in an antiparasitic med solution. Note: Petco refunded my money reference the FH loss.
The best way to avoid Hex starts at the store. Make sure the fish are eating. Observe the fish on display and pick the "tank boss". That's usually a male, and only other subordinate fish that are very active and displaying full color.

Back
Top Bottom