Solid white poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjinxed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard that white stringy poop can be signs of a significant problem. But what about solid white poop? I have a Torphius Morii Firecracker Cichlid that has been pooping white the last several days but it's solid like normal poop, just change the color from brown to white. He's behaving normal, eating, swimming around, no signs of bullying - find and Tail look perfect, no tears and I never see him taking crap from any of the other fish. They just leave him alone. Is this anything to be concerned about?

IMG_6342.jpg

Interesting question! I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with cichlids to know there. I have seen this in goldfish and live bearers. Assuming they hadn't just been eating more plants, nothing else had changed in the diet and they seemed fine to me. How is it doing now?

Still doing fine as far as I can tell, but still pooping white.

I thought in the other thread you said you have read about malawi bloat,yet you offer a high protein food to a herbivore?

FOOD: The most important aspect of Tropheus care is feeding. In Lake Tanganyika, T. moorii feeds on algae, containing crustaceans and aquatic insects, much like mbunas of Lake Malawi. In captivity, it may graze on algae and should be fed a high-fiber diet. T. moorii can be fed on such live foods as Brine Shrimp, Mysis, other crustaceans, aquatic insects, and black mosquito larvae. Its diet must include "green foods," including spirulina foods, flakes, lettuce, spinach, tablets, and even oatmeal. Avoid beef heart, Tubifex worms, and red mosquito larvae as these foods will quickly result in intestinal disorders.
I feed NLS grow to my rams!They are not herbivores...
Get a good brand food with HIGH algae content and start growing algae if possible..
This fish is meant to scrape surfaces all day long,and when provided with such you will clearly the teeth marks it leaves behind. Your tank looks really clean and new....

Yes, I read about bloat but don't claim to by fully informed or doing things perfectly as this is my first cichlid tank. I'm sure I'm doing some things wrong and will continue making mistakes as I learn. That's why am asking questions.

Yes, my tank is only a month old so not much algae yet.

While I know there are herbivores and carnivores and omnivores, I was under the impression that NLS was a mix that is good for all Cichlids. Apparently that is not the case. Truth be told, he rarely goes for the NLS while the other fish in the tank go nuts for it. Though he happily goes for the algae pellets I drop in there and the zucchini and squash. I'll make sure to put those in more often. I also often see him scraping at the rocks, even though there's not much there yet.

I generally turn the light off at night when I go to bed. Should I be leaving it on at night for now? That promotes algae growth, right? Right now I just have a small fluorescent light that came with the tank but have a 48" Satellite Plus arriving tomorrow that will hopefully promote better algae growth than the light that is in there now.

Just wait for the good light.
Some take rocks and place them in buckets outside in the sun if weather allows or just under lights inside to culture algae.
I would not try to hard to grow it in tank if possible.
You will see he will be all over the glass and rocks once algae starts to grow.
If he acts healthy the poop may just be from his diet.
The bloat occurs as they will eat food whether it is good for them or not...[I love Butterfingers]!

Back
Top Bottom