Solutions for suspected finrot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honcho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my betta may have finrot. Ive noticed a couple of white tips appear on the end of his tail. Could this be finrot? If so, should I isolate him straight away or can i get away with treating the whole tank? Advice please!!

are there any other fish in the tank? Get some "Fungus Eliminator" and follow the instructions on the bottle. he should get better within a few days after the treatment.... This is only if he has finrot. It my be ich. Describe what it looks like in detail. does it look like cotten? Finrot basically looks like the tail is shredded or starting to shred

What are the water parameters and what other fish are in the tank? Finrot is often associated with water problems. Bettas are prone to finrot due to the long finnage that does not have good blood circulation. The best thing for bettas are warm tanks with clean water.

Its a small section of his tail thats infected. One or two tips kinda look like they've been dipped in white paint. Its a 30gal tank, (under gravel filtration and powerhead), he shares with 7 tetras, a catfsh & 3 Angels. Im sure it's not ich. Thats a problem i have rectified before. To my knowledge the water is clean & healthy. I have samples tested regularly to ensure this and the tank does get cleaned about once a week. (About a 10% water change, gravel vacummed, etc). It's due for its next clean 2moro. Ammonia, nitrite, ph, etc, were at recommended levels when the water was last tested a week ago, although with no home tester kits i cant really tell you the exact levels at this time. I have recently resolved, it seems, an ich problem the tetras were showing which i treated with salt, ich terminator, 48 hour water changes of about 10% and raised temperatures. The temperature currently stands at 27 degrees c, (81 f). All traces of ich seemed to disappear about a week ago however i have still been treating the tank for it, (call me paranoid), so the water will still have traces of salt and ich terminator.

Back
Top Bottom