Some Fish scratching and some look like their choking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loach23

Aquarium Advice Activist
While I was testing my water levels which came back good. I noticed some fish rubbing and scratching on stuff. And 2 of my loaches where sitting still looking like they where choking at the bottom of the tank. 1 loach eyes looked like it was popping out I have 5 loaches and only 2 where doing this. And only the swordtails where scratching. Doesn't look like ick. I carefully studied all my fish non have spots or any visible parasites. The choking only lasted a day but the others are still scratching what can it be. I have my temp at 82-83 degrees. For the past 4-5 days

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

What test kit are you exactly using?

It sounds like one of your loaches has Popeye (fluid build up, either behind the eye or in the eye itself). Popeye is most likely caused by bacterial infections, injury and water quality are the most common problems. Vitamin A deficiency, tumors and gas embolism are less common reasons. Pop eye can also be caused by gas bubble disease as a result of oxygen super saturation (excess levels) of the water with the gas, nitrogen. If your clown loach does have it, I would recommend to try and give your loach the best water possible by performing frequent water changes (Once a day). If Popeye is not treated soon, it could result in the fish loosing its eye sight.

The other loaches sound like they have ammonia poisoning (Are they breeding rapidly and have red gills?), which is usually caused by water quality. If they do have it, Frequent partial water changes will help also (Once a day).

Ich originally starts in/on the gills. Just because your fish doesn't have any spots doesn't mean it does not have ich. I would just recommend raising the temp up to 86F and leaving it there for a week or so (Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich).

I use API liquid test for ph and ammonia. And jungle lab quick test strips for everything else.

Velvet is gold dusting on the fish right I didn't see anything

Ok so today they stopped scratching and gasping. WhAt was that about?

Did you just recently add them to the tank? Did you do something (Like tank work/cleaning) to stress them?

The swordtails where new to the tank but all others where there. Didn't do any changes

Back
Top Bottom