some new cichlid problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had two melanochromis auratus cichlids in a planted 20 gallon for a couple of months I do believe - anyways, today when changing some water I noticed that the female(smaller and stayed yellow with black stripes) is kinda beat up. Her fins are nipped and a couple of places look sore. The male(bigger and turned more blackish) is acting normal. The female started to just hang out where the filter dumps into the water or really close to the heater. I dont have a qtank at this time-I went beyond my better judgement and got the cichlid into my 46 gallon with the regular community fish(gourami, tetras, angelfish, clown loaches ect...) just to keep her in a better environment. I do have a reflective rear wall which is keeping her occupied for now. Everybody is really interested in the new tank mate-nothing crazy has happened yet. What should I do? Should I keep her in the tank as long as no fish appear beat up until she is better then get three more cichlids to put with the big male in the 20 gallon? Any ideas or suggestions would be great-Im kinda worried about upsetting the 46 gallon. Thanks
dOn

How old is your female?
who else is in the 20?
If your male is a fair bit larger yeah he would bully her unless there were more females around to keep him entertained,
although 20 gallons would be very crowded for your fish. Cichlids really need at least 4 feet of length to swim back and forth.
I know some people would say that a small tank for an African would be cruelty, But I don't place Judgement on that guideline, to each thier own...

Good luck :)
Chris

Back
Top Bottom