some type of fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
>>>cardinal tetra currently, also previously a silver tip tetra that died

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
>>>Amm: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10, temp: 78, pH 7.2

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
>>>54g corner, been set up for about 6 months+

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
>>>Rena xp3

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
>>> a pair of angels, pretty close to full grown, 6 silver tip tetras, 22 cardinals 1-1.5 inches (9 have been there for about 5 months, 13 I put in yesterday, all looked okay when I put them in and they came from another hobbyist's tank, not a store), 6 cories 1.5 inches, and 6 kulhis 2-4 inches.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
>>>weekly to every other week water change was Sunday, 50%, I don't vacuum the gravel because it's a heavily planted tank

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
>>>Angels, kulhis and silver tips are 1.5 years old, cories and old cardinals are 4 months, new cardinals were added yesterday. I acclimated them over 30 minutes by adding about 40mL of tank water every 5 minutes and removing half of the old water when the container got close to full.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
>>>No, maybe a few new plants that are 1-2 weeks old

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
>>>A mix of tropical flake, spirulina wafers, shrimp pellets, live black worms 2-3 times a week

So basically, here's what happened. About a month ago I noticed a silver tip who was staying away from everyone else, and upon closer inspection seemed to have a fungal infection (white patchy areas). I put him in a 15g QT and treated him with jungle anti-fungal/anti-bacterial tablets. He seemed to improve until we were going to move him back when he developed additional patches and bumps on his side. After treating him again, there was no change, he continued to worsen until we euthanized him. No other fish were showing any signs, although one old cardinal was missing completely, not sure when that had happened though. Today we noticed one cardinal with similar patches, can't tell if it's an old or a new one, but I'm hesitant to take him out into the QT tank, as it hasn't been sanitized since the last one died. Also, I'm wondering if perhaps there's something in the tank, so would it be better to treat the entire tank anyway? I don't want to loose my angels for sure, and not loosing the other fish would be nice as well. Also, it appears as if my angels are going to spawn this afternoon, although unless you remove the eggs, they end up eating them, so it's not like they would actually hatch anyway...

I'm not sure. It's a longshot I know, but any chance for a picture? My guess is that your fungal infection is more likely a bacterial infection. You can try treating the tank with Melafix for a week or so, as a precaution. Then if you see it again, you'll know it is still there. I'm wondering if just the fish were getting old too. It's so hard to tell.

Sorry, not much help.

I don't think the one that went missing died of old age, since I got them when they were still not full grown. A number of other things could have happened though, I'm sure.

I am hesitant to wait, just because I don't want it to spread. I also don't have a good enough camera to try to get a picture of this one either.

The medication I have is Jungle Fungus Clear, although it says that it also treats bacteria. the active ingrediants are nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate. My other concern is about the biological filter...would those effect it?

Back
Top Bottom