Someone help my fish are sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiefish51

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

My fish are sick and I do not know what to do!!
I thought it was ich but it seems to be far worse.

My angelfish are only staying at the top of the water and their fins seem to be rotting.

My bala sharks have white spots and their fins look bloody and their faces have this fungus growth look on them. Their eyes are cloudy as well.

My neon tetras have what appears to only be ich spots.

Please help! :(

IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1575.jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1610.jpg

Often secondary infections take hold when original issue is strong or improperly treated..
I think you should knock out what does really look like ich and then see if other issues clear up.
How did you treat for ich?
Are you sure the bala is not nipping the angels ?

Often secondary infections take hold when original issue is strong or improperly treated..
I think you should knock out what does really look like ich and then see if other issues clear up.
How did you treat for ich?
Are you sure the bala is not nipping the angels ?

Thank you for your reply! I raised the temp of the water to 86 degrees, gradually, and have done water changes with aquarium salt. I started this treatment yesterday.

I am afraid to use medicines, what do you think?

I am all against the salt and heat method..Good way to watch your fish die slowly IMO...Salt is just a different chemical most feel comfortable with regardless of it never being found in the fishes natural environment..
I take killing disease seriously , like my fishes life depend on it...I am rid ich plus 100% [not the herbal crap either].Ich is one of the easiest disease to kill ,but you have to kill it ,not slap it around and hope it dies.
If you don't put fourth a greater effort to kill the ich it will kill your fish so I would address this battle differently if they were my fish.
Read this;
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202109/http://skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius
Know your enemy...
The combo of formalin and M green are still the best combo for ich.
^This is what rid ich plus is^...

I am all against the salt and heat method..Good way to watch your fish die slowly IMO...Salt is just a different chemical most feel comfortable with regardless of it never being found in the fishes natural environment..
I take killing disease seriously , like my fishes life depend on it...I am rid ich plus 100% [not the herbal crap either].Ich is one of the easiest disease to kill ,but you have to kill it ,not slap it around and hope it dies.
If you don't put fourth a greater effort to kill the ich it will kill your fish so I would address this battle differently if they were my fish.
Read this;
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202109/http://skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius
Know your enemy...

I cannot thank you enough!! I do not think any of my local pet stores sell it. I just saw I can buy it on Amazon Prime, that being said will two more days be detrimental? I'm worried :(

Read this;
Know your enemy...

I have this....Jungle Ick Guard, should I try it? IMG_1613.jpg

Coralbandit, makes a very good argument for the use of meds. With all due respect I'll make a counter point. The last time I used meds was 1989, (Formalin) to treat gill flukes on discus fish. Since then when a rare outbreak occurs I use non med remedies. I will admit that I have lost fish to disease, but not many. Now to the issue, either you started your treatment very late or this is a very fast acting bug. Ick does not leave bloody patches, or fuzzy growth. I don't believe rapid fin degeneration is associated with ick either. Your bug might be bacterial, possibly "Columnaris". The way I would treat this issue is to remove the fish that are obviously
doomed. Continue with the aquarium salt and conduct a daily 25-35% WC. Here is the
tricky part, Columnaris thrives in heat. Do your research. If you diagnose the bug as Columnaris, you have to lower the temp. The treatment is essentially the same for both bugs, except the temp. If you think, Columnaris, might be a good idea to disinfect your tank with Melafix. It's a non toxic tank antiseptic. Wal-Mart or your LFS sells it.

Thank you! This literally came out of no where. I thought it was ich because the sharks would scratch their bodies along the gravel.

I just hope it's not too late

I've had ich twice in my tank. The first time I followed my LFS advice and lost 4 fish and 1 I paid $50 for. The second time after I did some research and didn't lose any fish and will treat all diseases. I just don't know if it's too late for your fish. 100% ground ginger however if you do go that route make sure you like at the ingredients and that ginger is the only ingredient, mix with frozen food. It will boost their immune systems immensely and help eradicate any diseases.

Why play Russian roulette with your fishes lives. Purchase Paraguard by Seachem and treat according to the instructions on the bottle. I am telling you this, as I have had the same situation occur when I had purchased gourami's at my LFS. I lost two fish, because I waited to do chemicals treatments. Paraguard does have a blueish tint to it, but doesn't leave stains and discoloration as malachite green does. Put it this way, if you had a serious disease would you yourself forgo chemical treatments (chemo) or would you do something to prevent your own death?

Back
Top Bottom