someone please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And believe me, you'll see his poop. Betta fish poop is pretty big for a small fish haha. As soon as he does poop please take a picture and describe any details that the picture may not be showing. Fish poop tells us a lot about what's going on!

And believe me, you'll see his poop. Betta fish poop is pretty big for a small fish haha. As soon as he does poop please take a picture and describe any details that the picture may not be showing. Fish poop tells us a lot about what's going on!

still haven't seen anything, even since adding the epsom salt this morning :( i don't know if it's adversely affecting him, but he's laying down moreso again IMG_5860.jpg

-phew- haha

when i changed out the water last night swear i could hear Thanksgiving say thank you.... lol

this morning i'm debating whether or not to feed him. he's acting veraciously hungry and his abdomen doesn't looooook distended.. IMG_5864.jpg

meanwhile, i set up this bad boy deku tree themed aquarium yesterday (still super cloudy)
IMG_5865.jpg

i'm going to start cycling it today after i grab more filter cartridges. i feel so bad he has an awesome home in the making but he looks so sad and bored. idk what i should or shouldn't put in his hospital tank for him while he's recovering.

thanks again girl!

The need for dip vs bath with epsom salt depends entirely on the concentration. The amount i recommended (1 - 3 tsp / 5 gallons) is perfectly safe for the fish as a water additive to resolve the symptoms. The amount you recommended at 3tbsp / gallon is far too much for long term treatment.

While that post was really informative and interesting...choosing the route of subjecting your fish to toxic water over being patient is just not cool. It only takes a few hours for ammonia to build up.
At least for the fish-in stocking method.

In Copplanes case, she really doesn't have a choice. Since she already has the betta.

If ammonia is building to toxic levels in just a few hours you have added far far far too many fish to the tank. As long as you follow the guide that i posted fish in cycling will go swimmingly.

If ammonia is building to toxic levels in just a few hours you have added far far far too many fish to the tank. As long as you follow the guide that i posted fish in cycling will go swimmingly.

swimmingly, yeah? [emoji23]

Okay...with Goldfish. That has been my experience. In small tanks (5 - 20 gallons) the ammonia goes up quickly. Even with only one Goldfish.

Oh Mebbid. Why do we disagree on so much?

The reason why I told Copplanes to change the water because I assumed she put in the concentration I recommended. I have never used Epsom salt long term and have never heard of anyone doing so...SO, I cannot say anything against or for your recommendation. With all that being said...Copplanes you should try Mebbid's method? Since Thanksgiving hasn't poopooed yet!

Anywho, the tank looks really cool Copplanes! I'm excited for you! Are you getting filter media as well?

Okay...with Goldfish. That has been my experience. In small tanks (5 - 20 gallons) the ammonia goes up quickly. Even with only one Goldfish.

Oh Mebbid. Why do we disagree on so much?

The reason why I told Copplanes to change the water because I assumed she put in the concentration I recommended. I have never used Epsom salt long term and have never heard of anyone doing so...SO, I cannot say anything against or for your recommendation. With all that being said...Copplanes you should try Mebbid's method? Since Thanksgiving hasn't poopooed yet!

Anywho, the tank looks really cool Copplanes! I'm excited for you! Are you getting filter media as well?

still nothing!!
i just completed what i believe is the 9th day of water change/ parasite medicine dosing. i added a tiny bit of epsom salt to the new water to use as an additive. i mean, he's hungry, he doesn't look constipated, and he's eaten a pea piece and a few shrimp over the last week and i just haven't noticed any movements.
thanksgiving is excited and hungry when he sees me, and generally lethargic otherwise. i want to do something to help his boredom in this hospital tank.
IMG_5874.jpg

what exactly is filter media? i have the whisper 10i running in there, with the bio filter to grow bacteria on.

I can't comment on the treatment, but regarding your question, filter media is simply any material (aside from the tubing, impeller, and other pieces that move water) found in the filter's housing/body. This can be categorized as mechanical, chemical, and biological filter media.
In context of the prior post, filter media can be taken from a filter in an established tank and placed into a new tank. This will dramatically speed up the cycling process. This is often termed as "seeded media". The beneficial bacteria in the established media will spread to the filter media of the new tank.

I can't comment on the treatment, but regarding your question, filter media is simply any material (aside from the tubing, impeller, and other pieces that move water) found in the filter's housing/body. This can be categorized as mechanical, chemical, and biological filter media.
In context of the prior post, filter media can be taken from a filter in an established tank and placed into a new tank. This will dramatically speed up the cycling process. This is often termed as "seeded media". The beneficial bacteria in the established media will spread to the filter media of the new tank.

ah, i do understand, i was seeking for filter media from friends, but no one i know keeps aquariums. i do know it's the best option and i'm not thrilled about only having access to bottled bacteria

They do sell seasoned media online. Check out Angels Plus.
You could always post something in AA's Classified section.

They do sell seasoned media online. Check out Angels Plus.
You could always post something in AA's Classified section.

thank you so much for the suggestion! i just ordered some from angels plus. can't wait for it to get here

Any updates? :D

hello again! after i finished the 10th day of parasite medication and received my angels plus filter, i added thanksgiving to his 10gal. IMG_6022.JPG
the biologically filter cycled my tank immediately and my plants were thriving.
i spoke to the owner of angels plus a couple times on the phone and got some incredible advice. he really knows what he's doing.
unfortunately thanksgiving immediately crashed, started bloating a little and formed a growth on his anal fin. IMG_5972.jpg
after talking to someone at arizona nature aquatics and steve from angelsplus, he clearly has a bacterial infection. today will be day four and the final day of his tetracycline treatment that i've been using in addition to feeding him limited amounts of food absorbed with seachems antibiotic. he seems okay. i had to take the filter and plants out of the tank and they're running in a seperate tank. IMG_6018.jpgIMG_6017.jpg
his fins looks better and he's perhaps less bloated, but he's not doing great. i don't have the ability to give him a shot with an antibiotic so there's not a lot i can do for an internal bacterial infection. but i'm trying!
thank you for checking in :D

Ohh! Interesting. Thank you for the update! I'm glad you finally got around to speaking to a professional. Us forum goers are here to help but, second opinions and people with lots of experience are always a good idea. Especially when the forum goers get the diagnosis wrong. Oxytetracycline is a great medicine. Please keep us updated on Thanksgiving's recovery! I would really love to see him be healthy.

update:
i treated thanksgiving with the tetracycline and in not sure it did much. following the treatment i put him in a planted cycled tank i had set up while treating him. he's basically oscillating between swimming around, inquisitive and hungry and laying sideways at the top of the tank, seeming dead.
i'm kind of at a loss at this point. i don't know if the damages of so many medications and illness over the last year have irreversibly damaged his basic bodily functions.

by the way, the filter i ordered from angels plus is amazing. it cycled my tank immediately. i couldn't imagine starting a tank any other way going forward.

Back
Top Bottom