someone please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copplanes

Aquarium Advice Activist
my betta has been unresponsive but alive for days, he must be suffering and i can't sit by and watch. his symptoms are fin rot, laying down, reddish under his gills, and he's gone blind with a thing grey layer over his eyes.

PLEASE anything i can do. any way i could still at least try to quartantine him and medicate?? he's currently in a 10 gal that i just treated for fungus (made everything worse)

IMG_5791.jpg
this is him yesterday. he's moved several times but he never does anything but lay there with shallow breaths

Wow. There are so many questions I need to ask to assess how I, or anyone else can really help.

I can suggest some things to do immediately before anything else though:

Begin by changing the water out. Clean water is what a sick fish needs the most.
Changing 80 - 100 % of the water everyday will help him get better.

Fungal medicine probably made it worse because this sounds like a bacteria problem. That being said, you're probably going to want to get Melafix and some aquarium salt ready.

Questions:

How often do you do water changes and what percentage of water is changed out?

Do you have a filter? If yes, how often do you clean the filter pad and replace the carbon bag?

How long have you had this tank?

Have you added anything to the tank recently? (Chemicals, rocks, plants, etc.)

Is your fish eating?

Is your fish pooping? If yes, please describe his poop.

Thank you!

my fish is not eating or pooping, his tank is un-established and i just moved him a few weeks ago. I've been doing pwc every day. i took out the carbon bag in the filter for the fungal medication. i did add one anubus plant the other day that seemed to really make this all happen. i took it out yesterday. when i do pwc it was 25% but two days ago i did a 60% water change. i don't know if i should just get him the hell out of this tank, hes been sick and not doing great but being in this 10gal which is unxyxldd has been awful. just not sure what to do RIGHT NOW, move him or not. he's barely alive but he is breathing

Last edited by a moderator:
The IMMEDIATE thing to do would be to change 100% of the water. Then, head to the pet store. Grab some aquarium salt and an internal parasite medication.

Grab a bowl that has never been used for chemicals (soap, bleach, etc).

You're going to mix 3 tablespoons of aquarium salt per gallon of treated tap water. Put that mixture into the fish safe bowl.

Gently set your betta into this mixture. Most fish his size can only last about 10 seconds. If he starts thrashing before that, take him out.

After the salt dip, place him back into the fresh tank water. Then, begin medicating.

Please tell me how all this goes.

I'll write another reply soon about preventative measures and what you should do from here!

Also, I would remove all the fake stuff you have in there and if your filter is creating a current that seems to bother him, turn it off.

Good luck!

Image1480889859.804902.jpgi can see him struggling for a last breath, so i'm setting up a 5 gal size tank with 1 gal of clean water, i was gonna try slime coat with a little bit of aquarium salt and hope i can revive him just enough to eat, i wasn't sure if this medication would work or not for what you're saying. i have used aquarium salt a lot of times and it's never helped my fish's illness IMO

That medicine will not help! Him not eating or pooping is usually a sign of an internal parasite.

If you follow my instructions he'll have a better chance of survival!

An aquarium salt dip at that high concentration is used to strip the slime coat so medicine can be more easily recieved by the fish. That's why clean water is so important because that means other pathogens are also easily recieved.

Aquarium salt is useful and effective when used correctly.

This is already a long shot. One wrong move and you're little buddy might be gone forever.

i just moved him!!! oh no! i added a half teaspoon of aquarium salt, API stress coat and a drop of bettafix and made sure the new water was the same temp. i didn't know what to do. i can head to the store now and get the parasite medication.Image1480891048.033238.jpg
his fin rot has gotten much much worse! i'm so scared to lose him i feel like i've made alll the wrong moves

Move him to fresh water and follow the instructions above.

We'll see what happens next.

Good luck!

UPDATE.
IMG_5792.jpg
i followed your instructions. i took him out and placed him aside. i redid the hospital tank with dechlorinated water with this medication : IMG_5793.jpg
it called for 1ml for 5 gallons, so i did .20ml in the 1gal hospital tank which is 4 drops.
i set up a a plastic red cup that hasn't been used for anything or washed before. i added 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt and made sure it was totally dissolved. i took thanksgiving out of the other red cup with a net and dipped him in the salt water for about 10 seconds and immediately put him into the redone hospital tank. he's still alive, at the very least the shock of this all hasn't taken him yet... hopefully even though he hasn't eaten in a week, using this medication daily might save his life. any tips are still welcome, i'd do about anything to save this little guy.
thank you for helping me!!!

Very awesome job! I'm so proud!

All we can do now is see if he improves! Don't forget to change the water daily and redo the medication!

I would definitely try putting a pellet in! If he doesn't eat it within an hour make sure to take it out to keep the water quality pristine~

Great work today (⁎⁍̴̛ᴗ⁍̴̛⁎)

update: i can probably say his immediate death isn't as much of an issue. before i took him out of the 10gal tank he was laying down and not moving, and now he's upright, fins aren't as flattened, and he's "ok". still hasn't eaten and hasn't pooped.

Good! He's not worse. Maybe we're getting somewhere. As far as food goes, I would recommend grabbing some frozen peas and feeding him those (when he does except food). The food you're feeding could have also contributed to this whole ordeal. Peas are safe and have nutrients.

To feed peas start by boiling a frozen pea until soft. Deshell the pea and cut the inner part into small chunks the size of your betta's eye.

What food are you currently feeding?

Remember, clean water daily will get Thanksgiving through this!

Good! He's not worse. Maybe we're getting somewhere. As far as food goes, I would recommend grabbing some frozen peas and feeding him those (when he does except food). The food you're feeding could have also contributed to this whole ordeal. Peas are safe and have nutrients.

To feed peas start by boiling a frozen pea until soft. Deshell the pea and cut the inner part into small chunks the size of your betta's eye.

What food are you currently feeding?

Remember, clean water daily will get Thanksgiving through this!

when i first got him he had swim bladder, and tried the pea thing for a couple days and he always refused it. i will try it again though! i'm just feeding him those generic betta pellets from petsmart. do you have recommendations for a better food?

i just completed a pwc and added another dose of the parasite medication.

still no response to food :( he's just hanging out. he's so skinny Image1480963062.410042.jpg

he almost looks like he wants his food, but he just can't see it. he seems blind

Back
Top Bottom