Something is killing only my kribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr Caviar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello aquarium community,

I have a 600L (158.5G) community tank (discus, bosemani, scissor tail, harlequins, clown loaches, mollies, gourami, cories, kribensis, and many more). My kribs have been very successful breeders in this tank so I have quite a few, at varying stages of maturity. Over the last couple of months, the mature ones are dying of something that only seems to affect them. (I lose one or more a week.)

At first, it looked like a fungus, as growth could be seen on a few, but this was not the case for all of them. Common symptoms include heavier breathing and inability to close mouths, followed by swelling of one or both eyes.

The tank gets weekly water changes (but not as regular gravel siphoning.) I can certainly increase water changes, but this seems like something more than mere water quality, since none of the other breeds are showing signs of sickness.

I'm now trying to catch those with any early signs and place in their own tank, but I'm unsure of how to treat once there. I have my only two albinos in a floating bucket with methylene blue--because of possible fungus. In the photos you can see one albino with very early signs (not closing mouth much), and an albino much further along with two swollen eyes (dark spots are blue dye from treatment). The last picture is most recent krib to be euthanised in clove oil.

Any advice would be gratefully received as the kribs are some of my very favourite swimmers!! Thanks! Tena koutou ... Rhoda :thanks:

NOTE: I've read some forums here that name products I cannot get, as I'm in New Zealand (and your regional groups seem to be North American and eastward--not westward or South Pacific.)

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8187.jpg
    IMG_8187.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8186.jpg
    IMG_8186.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8185.jpg
    IMG_8185.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:
The way its fins are pinecones out and what looks like a bloated body makes me think dropsy but I've never seen Popeye associated with dropsy.

Do they ever seem like they are having a harder time keeping themselves up right? Are they still active during it all?

I think the bloated look is a postmortem affect. But I know what you mean about the scales looking lifted. They remain active and even eating, in most cases. Some start to seem confused and just swim around, or they huddle under one of the many places that the kribs hang out. They don't float upside down or spin around. Thanks for engagement!

the dead one pictured has been sitting still, staring out of a cave entrance, for last 2 days. I finally chose to euthanise her today.

Maybe its an issue of aggression in the tank. You said you have gouramis, discus and rainbowfish all in there. Those are all a bit larger then kribs and they all can be a bit temperamental at times. Maybe the kribs are getting picked on? Guess that still doesn't get you to the actual issue. Sorry that's all I have to offer. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Thank you for trying :) I have remarkably little between-breed aggression. The randy male Mollies annoy the discus, and the still-youthful but large kissing gourami also annoy the discus with their incessant sucking for slime. The bosemani play together and never bother anyone.

The problem with the kribs is obviously something contagious, so I'm going to try harder to catch suspicious ones and sequester them in the triage tank I'm setting up.

Thanks again, Goatnad :thanks:

Dropsy and tuberculosis can have symptoms of Popeye associated with it. My guess is your fish has dropsy and they have an internal bacteria infection.

I'd probably run some metroplex and Prazipro in your main tank. Remove the carbon from your filters if you got it.

Water parameter list please?
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate
GH
KH
pH
TDS

Do you top off evaporated water with treated tap water?

If you top off continuously with tap water, then the general hardness and TDS compounds as the minerals aren't removed in evaporation or enough pwc's. Then over time the hardness increases and and makes the tank much less ideal for the Kribs.

There is some parameters info in here
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/kribensis-the-river-rainbows

Back
Top Bottom