Something White Hanging from Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mei

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heya, first time on the forum so I hope this goes well, need a nice place to be able to reacquaint myself with having fish again, long story short I used to have small tanks with about 1 or 2 fish but decided to get back into aquariums now with a 10 gallon.

The current setup is 4 male guppies in a 5 gallon while the new 10 gallon is being prepared, they also live with a single green Cory Catfish and 3 ghost shrimp. Everyone is pretty peaceful and no one seems to bully anyone. The water parameters are fine and they all eat dry flakes and twice a week I feed them dried blood worms. The filter is an Aqueoun small cartridge filter and I keep it clean. I do my best to keep everything in top shape for these guys.

Now down to business, I turned on the hood light this morning and noticed one of my guppies, Flare, had a long white, curled bit (for lack of a better word) hanging from his poop shooter. I watched him swim around a bit and noticed it looked like it was lengthening and shortening, instantly I began to worry it must be some kind of worm, as the thing disappeared back inside him after a few moments, and he began shaking his tail as if he were trying to dislodge something. I was going to try to grab pictures but since it receded back inside him, I don't have much to show, he's been eating fine, he doesn't look thin nor bloated, he's still shiny and iridescent and everything seems in order... for now... Would anyone have any idea what this might have been and how to best treat it? I'm worried about the other 4 getting it if it is an infection.

Add on - The guppies themselves have been with me for about a month now, 3 came from PetSmart and 1 from PetCo.

Last edited:
I turned the aquarium light off for a bit to see if the strange bit would return, it did slightly, not as long as I had seen before, this picture was the best I could manage to get of it.

*NOTE: The red circle is just a small segment of whatever the 'bit' is, in the smaller photo I drew what it looked like when I saw it this morning as the 'bit' doesn't seem to want to show itself now. Also I noticed that he keeps flexing his anal fin and ventral fins to the point where they are almost sticking out at the complete opposite angle, I'm growing more worried about his discomfort and if I should transfer him to another tank.

Attachments

• 13906943_839121006219474_5493441421427192196_n.jpg
    13906943_839121006219474_5493441421427192196_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 201
Yeah, I was looking into that, but from what I have read the Cama are red and pointed, and appear in clusters, this was long and white, curled, opaque.

Did you watch the "parasite in my guppy " video in the link I provided?
You should if you did not.
The paragraph below it may well explain the white you see?...
I believe you are seeing the mucus from the inflamed intestine of the infected/infested fish?

Coral camallanus is red worms not a long white worm.
http://m5.i.pbase.com/o4/13/423613/1/55140585.PhotoLibrary258.jpg
Anybody even look at info provided????:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Watch the video I mentioned before{this is the third time..:nono:}.

Now it could be something else , YES....
But I might be inclined to actually read the link and watch the video , especailly the end of it where the little red worm is seen{briefly} before it pulls all the white 'stuff' back into the fish...

Good luck with your guppy....

And Matt isn't there some medicated food you would like recommend even though they never worked for you?(y)

I dont read every single post on the subject but maybe i should start.
No, the medicated food dewormers never worked.
So people have had sucess with powder levimasole from what ive heard, can you confirm this coral?

Back
Top Bottom