Something white on pristella tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormryder73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed something white on my fish this morning. I thought he was injured with something lodged in him as the base was red. Looking closer it looks like when the stuffing has come out of a doll. Injury versus fungus? No other fish look like this. This fish doesn't act ill. Thank you.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Pristella tetra In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). cotton like growth maybe
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 40, temp 76 F, ph 8
3~ How large is the tank? 36 gallons How long has the tank been set up? 1-1/2 years
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Aqueon (came with tank)
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 23, 5 corys, 1 pleco, 6 neon tetras, 6 pristella tetras, 5 guppies all under 2 inches except for pleco.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? 1 week ago. How often do you do this? every 10-12 days. How much water do you remove at a time? approx. 10 gallons.
7~How long have you had the fish? 1 year. If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp

Attachments

• 20160429_170823.jpg
    20160429_170823.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20160429_170741.jpg
    20160429_170741.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160429_170727.jpg
    20160429_170727.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 63
I think it looks like Columnaris. You will need a gram negative medication. Just search on here, there are countless threads.

There are several versions if it is this disease.

Slow moving every few days you loose more fish, and VERY fast moving- spreads like a wild fire and the fish die in a few days.

First off, do a good cleaning like vacuuming and gently rinse the filter pad in dechlorinated water, clean filter.

This can pop up in an established tank as a result of stresses. There is usually a carrier fish (may not die/get sick)

here is a link for some detailed info
Columnaris disease in fish: a review with emphasis on bacterium-host interactions

A couple more from another thread on this topic post from Coral Bandit
it may possibly be in all water?
It is documented and believed to live easily 32 days without a host.
This;
Finally, since Columnaris is an opportunistic aerobic infection even a well maintained aquarium can suffer from a Columnaris infection with even a slight opportunity for infection (assuming this bacterial pathogen is present). A common portal for a Columnaris infection is simply an older and weaker fish. Old age allows many opportunistic infections to get a foothold in at least the fish in question.

Taken from
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
must read!
and this if you have not read
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-11839118.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom