Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Something Wrong with Angelfish?

Recently one of my 5 angels has started acting weird, its been sitting on or just above the bottom of the tank in the corner staring at the wall, it also seems not as responsive as the others, when I come to the front 4 angels come to the glass, but that one rarely does its eating but not as much as it used to does anyone know what's happening?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since your Angel is still eating, that lessens the probability of an intestinal infection. A group of like cichlids will eventually establish a pecking order, and Angels are no different. Maybe the noted fish is last on the Angel strength chart and is suffering from bullying. Timidness, darkening and isolation are all indicators of a weaker fish experiencing aggression.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe too small of a tank for 5 angels. And with odd numbers of angels there's always an odd man out. When partnering up as they grow they will become territorial to space wanting to breed. Males will show dominance to others and claim areas when wanting to mate. Some males will claim the whole tank if not big enough or just being a bully. More plants, and hiding areas may help. But, first thing first! Test your water. Watch them. If any are tilting sideways to others, I'd say it's time they are pairing up and being territorial. I have 3 in a 75g and 2 are wanting to breed, if the odd man out gets near their back corner or around the 2. Odd man is chased away from where ever they are. Keep an eye on the solo angel. Look it over see if there's nipping on the fins, that's the biggest sign of bullying. Rearrange the tank maybe it will help.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its 75 Gallons, Temperature: 79, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, nitrate: 20, pH 7.5, theirs no nipped fins, this one has also recently paired up and layed eggs but they were eaten, ive noticed it sometimes has head spasms where it shakes its head like a fish with a hook in its mouth, it also sometimes whips its fins some others do it two,
Old 06-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The head shaking is a mating dance behavior a lot of new world cichlids exhibit.

Tags
angel, angelfish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com