Something wrong with male guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loopyworm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The past few days one of my males guppies has been sitting on the bottom of the tank and not eating. To me he looks ok, not bloated or anything. However, I did notice him flicking against the rocks a moment ago. I have no idea as to what could be wrong with him. Any ideas?

I've (hopefully) attached a photo of him.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404110766.435469.jpg

Check for what looks like white spots, or little grains of "salt" on his fins, body, or anywhere really. If you find that, its Ick and you need medication. If he doesn't have any fin nips or white spots, it could be a parasite. I doubt that though, he's probably spooked by something (Another fish, temperature change, water quality)

He has no fin nips or white spots that I can see, so I don't think it's ick. He is still looking the same as yesterday, still not eating and occasionally flicking against the gravel.

Sounds like Ich, if he's flicking against things. As Istrom said, check for white spots, really small, like salt grains. Is some of his tail fin missing? Could be just the photo.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

I've checked him for white spots, and he doesn't have any as of yet. I haven't noticed him rubbing against the rocks this morning. He does swim around a little, but only just above the rocks and then settles back down. Occasionally his tail starts moving and he looks as though he's swimming, but in one spot. Still not eating either.

Just home from work. He's still alive. I checked my water quality then. Ammonia 0ppm. Nitrite 0ppm. Nitrate 30ppm. Ph 7.6

Nitrates are a little high, best lower than 20, better still 10. Have you done a water change since he's been like this? Might pay to do one, try and get the nitrates down. Has it always been 30?

I suggest using Stability and Prime (Or similar products), and do half a dose daily for a week. After that week's up, do a 50% water change and make sure you treat all the water with prime, stability, and brackish salt if possible.

:fish2:

Nitrates have always been between 20 and 30. I did a water change after my last post, but I will do another one after work and begin to treat the water. Will update later after work as to how he's going today.

Got home and found that he had died during the day sometime. Not sure if I should treat the rest of the tank with anything, none of the other guppies (I have 5) are showing any signs of illness at the moment.

I have attached a photo in case any one else is able to spot anything wrong with him.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404368373.889123.jpg

My only guess is that someone may have been bullying him, and chasing him constantly so he would have been scared to eat. He looks fine otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom