Something's wrong with my betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
This morning when I went in to feed him, he just sat at the bottom of the tank instead of swimming over to me like he normally does. I didn't feed him then, but came back later and fed him when he had swum up to the top. He seemed to be acting kind of odd, and has been acting strange all day so far. He either floats at the top hardly moving, or sinks down to the bottom. Either way, he looks like he is dead, so a couple time I have reached in and gently touched him. Then he would swim quickly and erratically, spinning around, before stopping and looking dead again. I have had him for about 1 1/2 years, and was told when I got him that he was a baby. Is he getting old, or is it something else? Poor Bilbo. :cry:

If anything it has gotten a bit warmer. On Saturday we moved his tank into the office, which is the warmest room in the house. Could he be stressed from the move maybe? He is in the same tank, and nothing inside it has changed.

Oh no! This is just how my betta was acting a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, he died. The cause was most likely a bacterial infection -- columnaris. Look at your betta's gills -- are they swollen, and moving quickly?

Poor Bilbo -- what I would do is give him some antibiotics. I would use some Kanacyn. It comes in a capsule for 10 gallons. How big is your tank? If you have a one gallon bowl, prepare some tap water, however you make it, with dechlorinators, etc. Open the capsule and dump the whole capsule in there. Shake it up well. Into his bowl, use about a cup and a half (measuring cup) of medicine water, and fill the rest of the bowl with his regular water. Hopefully, if you catch it early, you can get him better.

My betta died a few weeks ago, and I estimate his age at 1 year, 10 months. He always had a bout of fin rot every few months, so I guess that at the end, he just couldn't fight this bacteria anymore. I medicated him frequentlyall through his life; I wish I didn't have to, but I kept him healthy until right near the end.

Some people say their betta lived for about 3 or 4 years. I've read that the average age is 2. The betta was at least 2 or 3 months old when you got him, probably. So I think you've done a good job with him. I would try the antibiotics just in case. Your betta is acting just like mine was, so while the meds didn't help my betta at the end, hopefully yours will pull through. Good luck!

His gills do seem swollen, I could only see one of them as he is on his side at the bottom of the tank. They don't seem to be moving quickly, but he does seem to be having a hard time breathing. I don't know if he can make it long enough for me to get mecication, my kids are napping so I won't be able to leave for a while. What is the active ingredient in the medication you recommended? The pet store here is small and doesn't have much selection, and I have to drive a good 45 minutes to get to another one. Oh yea, his tank is 2.5 gallon and I did a 50% water change on Saturday.

The active ingredient is kanamycin. Any broad-spectrum antibiobic should be ok. Mix up the med in the gallon of water, like I described above, but for a 2.5 gallon tank (which probably has 2 gallons of water -- the gravel will displace some of the room) put in 2 to 2 1/4 cups of medicine water. This is, if the other med you get is also 1 capsule per 10 gallons. Good luck!

I would keep in mind all dying fish while in the last gasp of life do this. They try and flee but are too weak. And often the gills are moving fast. It's not necessarily bacterial anything. Any cause of death - bacterial, fungal, parasitic would do the same thing, it's not a specific symptom. Doesn't mean don't try the antibiotics - just don't get tunnel vision in that "bacterial infecton" diagnosis. And also if they are already doing what you describe - could be more than likely any treatment, even if it is the correct treatment, may be too late. Sorry.

This is how my Betta is acting now, But his infection is obvious [popeye].

He either floats in *his* corner of the tank, or sits on the gravel near to his favourite rock.

Won't even come to me anymore, Currently Treating with Maracyn Two.

And I agree, if you don't know the specific problem.. Try any broad spectrum anti-biotic.

Don't give up on him till the bitter end

What med did you use? I hope he makes it too. It was absolutely awful seeing my betta lie there like that for 4 or 5 days.

Good luck to you and your betta. I hope he pulls through.

Bilbo didn't make it through the night. I had a feeling he wouldn't, but I had to at least try to make him better. :cry: I think I'll bury him next to Frodo the ferret. I hate burying my pets. :cry:

I'm so sorry, ryorgason. :bawl: You tried your best to help Bilbo. I tried very hard with mine too, but it didn't help either. Poor fishies -- it is such a helpless feeling seeing them sick. I buried my bettas too. For the one that died recently, my husband surprised me with a little tiny jewelry box that he stained, for a fishy "casket". We buried ours on a steep creek bank, in our backyard.

Bilbo had a very good life with you for a year and a half!

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you're giving him a nice resting place.

I bury my fish on my parents' property next to the zucchini and tomato plants, and behind their goldfish pond. It's cheesy, I know, but I like to take them there and watch the goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom