Somethings wrong with my female Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sponge Bob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the my message that I posted from another forum:

I have a female betta with some "whitish" spot on her right I just noticed that today after observing her. Shes been at the bottom of the tank most of the time and heavily gasping for air so I knew something was wrong. Does anybody know what this might be?

Thanks.

Sponge

Is there too little air in the tank? That's unlikely, but that's all I can think of. The white spot (singular) may be fungus; it's probably not white spot (a.k.a. ick) as that is numerous white spots, usually covering the whole fish. It's unusual that she's gasping for air, as they're labyrinth fish and therefore can breathe at the surface, too. Maybe she also/or has a problem with her gills, which are still used in breathing at the surface. Honestly, though, I really don't know . . . check your ammonia, nitrate/nitrite, pH, and anything else you can figure out about the tank. Hopefully it all turns out for the better.

Sorry to hear about your betta. A few questions: what's the location of the white spot? is it just behind/under her gill? Does it bulge? Is it fuzzy, like cotton?

Back
Top Bottom