Spilled few drops test chem into tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greyboysix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was testing my tank's nitrite levels, and accidentally knocked over the test tube. Put five drops into the vial along with the standard 5ml of water. About half spilled into my 29 Gallon. Are my fish going to be OK? They don't seem to be acting oddly in any way. I already did a 75% water change with bottled water. Anything else I should do? Help!

Keep a close eye on everyone and do another pwc and add fresh carbon to your filter and everyone should be ok. Don't forget to dechlorinate.

My mother (frighteningly) only tests PH. Onve she's done, she empties the vial into the tank. Has done for years...

*shudder* The things she does!!!! I don't know why her tank remains stable.....

Keep a close eye on everyone and do another pwc and add fresh carbon to your filter and everyone should be ok. Don't forget to dechlorinate.

Thanks Zags. I did change the water again, and dosed it with Prime again. The fish seem to be doing just fine. They're still pretty new, and I think the water changes freaked them out a bit, but they've resumed their semi-usual patrols and gone back to their territories. I'll do it again on Wednesday, and when the store opens tomorrow, I'll put new Chem-zorb in my Rena XP-1.

My mother (frighteningly) only tests PH. Onve she's done, she empties the vial into the tank. Has done for years...

*shudder* The things she does!!!! I don't know why her tank remains stable.....

My dad's kinda like that with his fish tanks. Or was, when he still had them up and running. Everything was always perfect, and he didn't even have to try. Then again, the water back home is great. Here in philly? You don't wanna know.

My dad's kinda like that with his fish tanks. Or was, when he still had them up and running. Everything was always perfect, and he didn't even have to try. Then again, the water back home is great. Here in philly? You don't wanna know.

I come from a small town in IL with awesome water. In St. Louis, well, yeah.

Back
Top Bottom