Spot on fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallorn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put my koi angelfish in a hospital tank a couple of days before Christmas after I noticed a spot on one of his fins. I kind of figured it was fungus or possibly fin rot. I went a week treating it with melafix/pimafix with no results and now I'm just doing water changes everyday hoping that'll take care of it.

His fins aren't clamped, he is still eating, and aside from the spot on his right fin and what appears to be spots on his left fin, he is an active healthy fish. I've attached pictures, though it's kind of hard to see.

Is it possible it's just a natural coloration of his fins and not something to worry about or should I start treating with maracyn or something else? It doesn't really resemble ick and it hasn't spread in 2 weeks so I'm not really sure what to do here. I'd like to get him back into my main tank as soon as possible (he has developed an attachment to the other angelfish in the main tank :)) so any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 58
Hi! Not sure really, if the treatment didn't help and he's acting OK then it could be a natural coloration, it's hard to say for sure. You could try putting him back into the main tank, keep the water as clean as you can and keep an eye on it. If it gets worse pull him back out and try treating again.

Being someone who is very paranoid about ich ever getting the better of my fish (and the fact that the fish will seem healthy and eat for a long time after being badly afflicted) I always take out any fish showing the white spots and leave them in a quarantine tank for at least a week with no treatment except raising the temperature to 86 degrees F. Just had a sick leopard fish who clearly got the ich bad and after 6 days in a quarantine tank at 86 degrees he has no visible signs of it. Just a suggestion because if it does happen to be ich (which it looks like it could be from your photo) many of the medications sold in most stores for them can actually be very harmful to your fish in the long run so just changing the temperature is much safer. I have had fish who have spots for over 2 weeks and then has developed into full fledged ich so id say try the temperature just to be safe if nothing happens let him rejoin he is probably all good.

I think it has almost been 3 weeks and no changes to speak of. This particular fish has had ich before and went through the heat treatment. I guess I'll leave him in for another week or so and see what develops just to be safe.

If he has ich then that means the main tank has it as well but I don't see any signs of it on the other fish. In any case, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom