Spots on an Angel, but not ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soszai

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mature angel (~8" tall) has developed several spots/cysts on its fins (and only its fins). He's not flashing, and doesn't exhibit any strange behavior. His appetite is very healthy, and he's actually survived with these spots for a few months. That being said - the spots aren't normal.

Based on my reading, these don't seem to be ich. They haven't spread beyond the fins, and they haven't spread to other fish. I've seen a few people asking about this kind of thing on various sites, but I haven't seen what seems to be a real answer to what we're looking at.

Any ideas on what I'm looking at, and any ideas on treatment would be great.

I'll answer the standard questions below:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.)

Pterophyllum Scalare with about a dozen mostly white bumps on his fins

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Zero ammonia and nitrites. High nitrates (that I'm taking down with 1/3 water changes every 48 hours). Nitrates were probably as high as 150ppm - today, maybe 60ppm. Temp is 80F and pH is 6.9

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29G, 4 years

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Marineland Eclipse 3 (50G capacity)

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

See the pic - 9 fish. Many are small, so we're in decent shape on filtration (at least until that Jack Dempsey grows up)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I was neglectful for a long time (1/month maybe). Now, I'm doing 2+ times a week until we get things right. That's only be happening for 2 weeks

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Angel is over 3 years old. Started at 3 inches tall, and now is 8

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

A few new fish (otos, glass cats, and the Dempsey) over the last 2 months. He had these spots before that though, and no other fish is affected

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Tetra flakes and freeze dried blood worms. Occasionally Spirulina

Attachments

• Sick Angel.jpg
    Sick Angel.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 52
  • AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 57
Thank you

Thanks - that's essentially what I was hoping to hear. I'll return the tank to normal nitrate range, and hopefully that will do it

Back
Top Bottom