Spotted AFrican Leaffish Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My favorite fish (Spotted African Leaffish) just died from eating an oto!He was one of the coolest and healthiest fish I have ever had!

I lost 2 fish from this!
So,
I have a 46g I'm going to set-up and was planning on putting this leaffish in it but since it died should I still only put 1 I'm or would a group of 2-4 be better?
Are oto's poisonous?
Do they have barbs?
How did the leaffish choke on this but not on minnows 2 ta 3X the size of the oto?
(I found the oto head first in his mouth)

My favorite fish (Spotted African Leaffish) just died from eating an oto!He was one of the coolest and healthiest fish I have ever had!

I lost 2 fish from this!
So,
I have a 46g I'm going to set-up and was planning on putting this leaffish in it but since it died should I still only put 1 I'm or would a group of 2-4 be better?
Are oto's poisonous?
Do they have barbs?
How did the leaffish choke on this but not on minnows 2 ta 3X the size of the oto?
(I found the oto head first in his mouth)

Sorry you lost you fish, that sucks :(
I don't think leaf fish are schooling fish so 1 would be fine as far as I know and I have seen them fairly big (like 10 inch at least) at a lfs so not sure how many would be suitable for a 46g, and I have no idea about the oto's I wouldn't think they was poisonous but I am not 100%, but i think its more than likely choked, I think a pleco that is to big to be eaten would be a better choice, but personally I would get some pictus or large corydoras to pick up the leftovers and just make sure not to over feed or have to much light to prevent algae.

Sorry I didn't mean to come accorss aggressive. But for the 46g, I think the leaf fish will be ok with a bn pleco, giant danios mabye(someone else chime in) and then Mabye some Denison barbs(get them at 2+ in. Also, add the leaf fish as the last fish, because otherwise heel feel like the king if the tanks.
So
1 leaf fish
6 giant danios
6 Denison barbs
2 bn plecos could work. Could, but wait for others

Yea that should work as long as the other fish are bigger than the leaf fish can eat and I agree it might be better to add the leaf fish last but you can work around this by changing decor etc. good luck.

CharlieKlein said:
Sorry I didn't mean to come accorss aggressive. But for the 46g, I think the leaf fish will be ok with a bn pleco, giant danios mabye(someone else chime in) and then Mabye some Denison barbs(get them at 2+ in. Also, add the leaf fish as the last fish, because otherwise heel feel like the king if the tanks.
So
1 leaf fish
6 giant danios
6 Denison barbs

Leaf fish are not community fish. With that being said take all the community fish out of that list and you will get closer to the answer. The plecos should work because they inhabit a different part of the tank, barbs will be okay because i wouldnt consider them community fish, but the danios wont.

So
1 leaf fish
6 giant danios
6 Denison barbs

6 denison barbs would need a tank like 90g. They each reach 5.9 inches and are quite active.

I think denisions may be to big/active for this tank size. I don't know much about barbs. I know tigers wouldn't be eaten(Mabye) but also may nip. Either way, if you do a leaf fish, a bn pleco,
And then Mabye 12 of some kind I barbs, that will be good

Back
Top Bottom