Squiggles, the squiggly BN plec. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I was at Petsmart with my new puppies (they are why I haven't been on!) and I fell for it. I got a baby (1/2 in) BN plec (or at least I hope it is. Else House of Tropicals will be getting a new common, it looked like one to me though). Problem is, I didn't notice until now that my adorable new baby is, well, rather squiggly.
So, should I try and see if he/she lives? Should I return Squiggles and get a new baby? I really do think Squiggles is pretty cute though, and Petsmart kills any fish that are returned IME. Of course, I also was handed two female platies instead of a male and a female to go with my oddly iridescent female. Long story. Urg. Sorry, just my little rant.
Anyways, does anyone have experience with something like this? Help Squiggles!
Thanks!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Keep Squiggles!! Then you'll always have something interesting in your tank and a nice story behind it! If you return him, you ruin his life and he dies, and then wouldn't you just feel terrible? I would keep him, would make me feel cool to have some thing so cool and interesting!

Nils

So, I was at Petsmart with my new puppies (they are why I haven't been on!) and I fell for it. I got a baby (1/2 in) BN plec (or at least I hope it is. Else House of Tropicals will be getting a new common, it looked like one to me though). Problem is, I didn't notice until now that my adorable new baby is, well, rather squiggly.
So, should I try and see if he/she lives? Should I return Squiggles and get a new baby? I really do think Squiggles is pretty cute though, and Petsmart kills any fish that are returned IME. Of course, I also was handed two female platies instead of a male and a female to go with my oddly iridescent female. Long story. Urg. Sorry, just my little rant.
Anyways, does anyone have experience with something like this? Help Squiggles!
Thanks!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic
Nice fish! Good lu- did you just say petsmart KILLS fish?!

Deform spine can be sign of illness. Careful...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aw cute! I like the name squiggles! Keep him! If he is behaving normally he should be fine

Time spent with cats is never wasted

He's behaving normally, except all of the sudden my new swordtail (got one for a cousin that can't find them), a new platy, and two guppies won't stop lying on the bottom. Urgh. Stupid Persmart. Only the livebearers, and only females, are affected, but my male ram has one huge eye. It almost looks like Popeye, so I put in aquarium salt. Water change ASAP too.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Nice fish! Good lu- did you just say petsmart KILLS fish?!

Haha shocker, but yes. I went in with a platy to return when I got my first tank, since I didn't get the right one. What did they do? Went in the back room, leaving the door open, and flushed it. Poor thing. So now I have to drive all the way to Toms Tropicals to return fish, but they don't pay you. Or I can drive twice as far and go to House of Tropicals. Funnnn.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

He's behaving normally, except all of the sudden my new swordtail (got one for a cousin that can't find them), a new platy, and two guppies won't stop lying on the bottom. Urgh. Stupid Persmart. Only the livebearers, and only females, are affected, but my male ram has one huge eye. It almost looks like Popeye, so I put in aquarium salt. Water change ASAP too.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I would quarantine the fish lying on the bottom. I love your signature! Harry Potter fan right here!

Haha shocker, but yes. I went in with a platy to return when I got my first tank, since I didn't get the right one. What did they do? Went in the back room, leaving the door open, and flushed it. Poor thing. So now I have to drive all the way to Toms Tropicals to return fish, but they don't pay you. Or I can drive twice as far and go to House of Tropicals. Funnnn.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That never happens at my Petsmart. We either put fish back in tank if it was healthy, or we had 3 QT tanks in back for I'll fish.

I would complain to a manager or Corporate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would quarantine the fish lying on the bottom. I love your signature! Harry Potter fan right here!

Ahh, QT. I wish. My ten is occupied with about fifty guppy fry from my two dead females, so I'd rather not lose them. One just died last night too, but the others seem to have recovered. Unfortunately, the one that recently died was one of my Black Moscow females with amazing color depth. She cost, well, more than I'd care to admit. Now I feel dumb.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That's scary. How did the water test go ? Did it show anything ?

That's a really bad spinal deformity. If you want to keep him you can, but be aware he may not live.

In the future you can even eat up a Rubbermade Bin as a QT. Or keep a 10-20g to use as. QT tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Water test looks fine, zero, zero, ten. He seems to be doing well, eating, so I thinks he's fine for now. But now my GBR looks half dead AGAIN. I swear the males have a curse on them. He won't respond to food or other fish.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

KEEP HIM! I have 4disbled fish 3blackmoors and one danio. They are doing great year and few months I've had all 4 disabled fish. Give Squiggles a chance defo :). Kp us updated on his progress

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But to be fair I always buy the deformed fish lol. Makes them more special (needs) hehe

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, he passed as did the albino bristlenose I bought... Urgh.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

That stinks... I've had a Female BN Pleco for almost 4 years now. RIP Squiggly

Back
Top Bottom