SRD Flowerhorn with "illness" - please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theboysell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently added a beautiful 10" Super Red Dragon Flowerhorn to my community tank. This may sound like a ridiculous thing to do but he's not a typical Flowerhorn. Very placid and friendly, feeds from my hand and after a few hours establishing his territory in the tank has been fine with the others for weeks. No fights or aggression at all.

He recently developed a problem behind his right Gill. It initially appeared like a white lump with a scale falling away but over the past few days it has got worse and appears to be spreading. There is now maybe 4 or 5 affected scales. Please see pictures attached.

I have detailed current conditions and tank mates below. Any advice on treatments or diagnosis welcome.

Nitrate (mg/l) = 70
Nitrite (mg/l) = 0.25
Total Hardness (GH) = 14
Carbonate Hardness (KH) =14
pH = 7.4
Chlorine (mg/l) = 0.7
CO2 (mg/l) = 15
Temp = 28 degrees across whole tank

All these levels fall in to "green" on the JBL Pro Scan Test Kit apart from nitrate and chorine which are amber. I have done a 30% change and added some additional Prime Conditioner to rectify.

Tank Mates = Red Bay Snook, Jag, True and Blood Parrot, Severum, 2x Angel, 2x Birchir, 2x Clown Loach, 1x Plec
Tank is 400 Litres, 2x Filters including 2000 litre per hour external, with carbon, zeolite, ceramic, nitrate remover, bio ball media.
Tank is planted, with bog wood and various stones, lava rock.
Running CO2 system.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444076664.575369.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444076687.574851.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lymphocystis disease is a common viral infection which affects the skin and fins of any fish. Although it is rarely serious, it can cause health problems if the effected area restricts gill movement. There is also the risk for secondary infections as the immune system is already fighting, these can be fatal.

Think of this as our common cold.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LYMPHOCYSTIS is a virus that lives off of impurities in the water while attached to the fish.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It doesn’t live off the fish but may kill indirectly by interfering with, swimming ability, respiration or the fish’s inability to feed.. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eliminate impurities in the water through optimal filtration, UV sterilization, water changes, or diatom filtration. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lymphocytes can only be killed in the aquarium purifying the aquarium water[/FONT]MPHOCYSTIS is a virus that lives off of impurities in the water while attached to the fish.
[/FONT]
It doesn’t live off the fish but may kill indirectly by interfering with, swimming ability, respiration or the fish’s inability to feed..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eliminate impurities in the water through optimal filtration, UV sterilization, water changes, or diatom filtration. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lymphocytes can only be killed in the aquarium purifying the aquarium water[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom