starting to see slight pineconing in my goldfish! HELP QUICK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuggetthefishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm Pixie and I'm new to fish-owning. I had noticed several days ago that my fish, Nugget, was bloated, so I researched it. The first thing to come up was dropsy. I wasn't able to go to get any medication for a few days, and within that my fish stopped swimming and it was more bloated than ever. I decided to get Maracyn, and have been using it for about 3-4 days now.
The bloating has decreased quite significantly, which gave me a huge sense of relief. Nugget has been swimming around the tank well, and eats normally.
Here's the problem - NOW I'm starting to see the scales protrude slightly. I'm very afraid that this is a bad sign of dropsy - and that euthanasia is the best way. It's very subtle, but the scales are more prominent than before.
HELP IMMEDIATELY! I'm very worried for the health of my fish. Just when the medication started working, the scales started to protrude.
PLEASE HELP ME!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These are the pictures.
They're not the clearest, since Nugget kept swimming around, but these were the clearest pictures I could take. I'll try to take more.

Attachments

• 1391740616996.jpg
    1391740616996.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 376
  • 1391740629020.jpg
    1391740629020.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 1391740642811.jpg
    1391740642811.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 166
Are these pictures good? Too blurry?

Unfortunately, the fish is starting to show signs dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease but a symptom. It indicates that your fish is progressing towards organ system failure. The kidneys are most prominently affected as they are responsible for processing fluids. 'Dropsy' is difficult to treat as its causes/ combination of causes are numerous. Poor water quality ranks near top with bacteria, parasites, stress, protozoa, etc among the many possible causes.

Metro has had some success in goldfish. A metro-medicated food such as Metromeds is preferred over a tank treatment. Veterinary intervention with injectable prescription antibiotics has had the most success in combination with pristine water conditions.

Is a vet possible? If not, is there a Petsmart or decent lfs near you? We can make some suggestions of what to try before euthanasia should even be considered.

Right now, change 50% of the water with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Wait 30-60mjns and then change another 50%. If you have epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), add one teaspoon per 10g after the two wcs. Please ask any questions!

I can't go to a vet, but there is a PetSmart close by. I'm not sure when I can go, though. And these are my questions:
1.) I'm using Maracyn 2, and it's been helping with bloating reduction. Can I still do a water change without messing with the medication?
2.) Will Epsom salt react okay with the medication?
3.) How many times do I do the 50% water change you were talking about?
4.) Will my fish die? :(

I can't go to a vet, but there is a PetSmart close by. I'm not sure when I can go, though. And these are my questions:
1.) I'm using Maracyn 2, and it's been helping with bloating reduction. Can I still do a water change without messing with the medication?
2.) Will Epsom salt react okay with the medication?
3.) How many times do I do the 50% water change you were talking about?
4.) Will my fish die? :(

Maracyn2 is minocycline. It's very hard on the kidneys. Although the bloating may appear to be improving, your now seeing pine coning, correct?

How many days are left with this med? Do the two 50% wcs then add back a full dose of the med along with the Epsom salt (if you have this on hand-do not add regular salt). Start feeding him exclusively cooked, mushed peas and cooked spinach. No fish food right now. Epsom is fine with the med and you are only adding a small amount (dissolve it in water before adding).

If you have a PS near you, pick up a large box of API General Cure. They sell it as well as any decent lfs. Your going to switch to this depending on your fish's condition tomorrow and how many days are left with the other med. We will help you with changing meds and wcs.

I can not make any guarantees of anything here but we will work with what is available to you and hope for the best!

I'm really scared.. I've grown quite attached to my fish, and I can't just let it go. Many articles are saying that it's better off just being put down, but I can't seem to bear that. I'm just extremely worried. I love my fish and I don't know what to do.
Is there any possible way to cure dropsy? Or is that not possible?

A vet can offer options that are not available in a store and will have the highest success rate. The key here is acting quickly to try and bring this under control in time. All you can do beyond this is hope for the best outcome.

UPDATE ON NUGGET:
I did the water change, but I think it stressed him out. His scales are slowly but surely becoming more prominent, and now he's not even swimming around until I walk up to the tank. He sits at the bottom of the tank and doesn't do anything. All I've been doing was giving him Maracyn 2.
I just wanted to put into consideration that I never cycled my tank. I only knew about it afterward, and I thought it was too late. I'm not able to get nitrate or nitrite measuring devices, because my parents aren't into how much care needed for a goldfish (I'm only in the eighth grade), and won't listen when I try to explain everything.
Now what should I do? I'm very scared.. :( is there still hope for him?

It was also the last day of the med. I'm putting into consideration starting over and putting poor Nugget out of his misery, but euthanasia isn't something I'd like to resort to. I'm so conflicted on what to do.

Since you can't monitor water quality do daily water changes of 25 to 50%. How long has the tank been up and what size is it?

It has been up since July and it is a ten-gallon tank. Sadly, I have decided that I need to take Nugget out of his misery :( he has been struggling to swim and sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time now. His scales are protruding quite badly. I'm going to use clove oil tomorrow :(

Thank you for trying to help, it means a lot. It's very heartbreaking for me to do this, but the poor fish shouldn't be in misery any longer :(

I'm sorry to hear about your little pal. I was following this thread hoping he would pull through.

RIP little Nugget.

Back
Top Bottom