starving ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The fishinator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, about 8 days ago, I first noticed that my tank had ick. 3 days later, I bought medications and began treating the tank. It said to add 4 teaspoons every 2 days, which I did. However, I am now on my 5th day of treating it and have used all of the medicine. Unfortunately my fish are dead, so now the tank is completely empty. I also did a 50% water change and added 90 degree water. My question is, could the ick have survived the hot water? And, if they did, can I starve them by not adding any fish to the tank for X number of days? I read that it takes 3 days for ick to complete it's life cycle. Therfore, if I wait 4 or 5 days before adding my new fish (are in q-tine), can I assume that the ick starved to death for lack of fish hosts?

You keep the tank at 85-87 for 2 weeks as far as i know, i would make sure it's gone before adding more fish

I agree with Puriti. Keep the tank temperature at least 86 for a 2 weeks. That should do in the ich. You may want to add ammonia or your bacteria is going to die with no food source.

With no fish in the tank you might want to shoot for 88+ for two weeks (I do 88 when I have fish in the tank). Better to go longer than needed than not long enough for the ich to be gone and put fish in and have it start again. Medicines do a better job of killing fish than killing ich. The heat and salt method works wonders.

Wait, what is the salt part of the heat and salt method, and will either harm my plants? I have 6 amazon swords.

I believe that amazons will have no problem with the heat. They are one of the plants that can be put in discus tanks. You do not need to add salt, just pump up the temperature.

Salt part would just be...adding aquarium salt to your tank but like rich said you don't need to do it just up the temp ^^ good luck!

Back
Top Bottom