Sterilize with salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew123795

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any way to completely sterilize a 10 gal with salt? All my fish died recently from what sounds like internal parasites so I want to kill them all before getting new fish

Not salt, you can use bleach if you take the whole tank down, but that's a mess, and there are meds you can use, but I'm unsure of what ones to use.

I really don't want to use bleach since it will kill my fish if I don't rinse every last bit of it out.

Bleach would honestly make sure that any remaining parasites are killed off. If you rinse the tank twice after the bleach treatment and let it air dry for a day or two rerinse the tank and let it air dry you will be good to go

Bleach would honestly make sure that any remaining parasites are killed off. If you rinse the tank twice after the bleach treatment and let it air dry for a day or two rerinse the tank and let it air dry you will be good to go

On top of this you could fill the tank and over dose with any water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine.

Cleaning Tanks

Is there any way to completely sterilize a 10 gal with salt? All my fish died recently from what sounds like internal parasites so I want to kill them all before getting new fish

Hello drew...

A tablespoon of standard aquarium salt dissolved in a gallon of warm tap water and a sponge will clean the tank. You will need to rinse the tank thoroughly afterward and allow a day or two to dry. Small tanks are a challenge for even an experienced waterkeeper to keep clean. Poor water conditions are responsible for most, if not all the problems that kill fish.

You might consider a Betta or a Loach for your 10 G. These fish don't require a very large tank because they're not very active. More active fish will do much better with a larger tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom