Sterilizing tank with plants after columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
Two days ago I bought 6 harlequin rasboras and introduced them into my 10g. One died on the way home and another looked sick, so I moved my Betta. I found out they had columnaris. Since then the rest have passed (I actually euthanized the last couple). My Betta passed in the other tank (RIP Old Mate).

So, now I am left with an empty tank wondering how to sterilize it.

What are every body's suggestions on how to do this? They where in the tank not even 24 hours. I was thinking of a bleach dip for the plants and wood, boiling the sand, bleaching the tank/filter/heater and throwing out the media. Would that be enough to eradicate it? I have a whole bottle of pimafix (nasty stuff IMO) I'm dying to get rid of. Should I dump it into the tank?

Please help. I'm lost as to what to do next.
(I am in Australia and a lot of medications may not available)

Hholly said:
Don't know, but sorry about your fish. :(

Thanks. Was sad to see them go especially my Betta :(

I have decided to try find myself some potassium permanganate and treat the tank with that. I've poured in the bottle of pimafix (probably won't do a thing) and a heap of salt. Probably over kill but I want to make sure I get it all. And before anyone says there is no point because it might come back, I'm trying to reduce those chances as much as I can.

Oh no!!! I am SOO sorry about your fish!!! Bleach is the best thing to use to disinfect everything. The salt will not have much of an affect in this case, pimafix is useless, & im not sure about the potas permag. The plants can survive a bleach solution dip. I would dump the tank, put it outside/in garage (somewhere near outlet), fill it with bleach & let everything run for 24hrs to make sure all tubes/powerheads/bubblers/filter are thoroughly disinfected. Rinse everything well with hot water & let it dry in the sun (if possible). Make sure you disinfect anything that may have been in tank such as net. Hope this helps! :(

Thanks for the link! I dont know much about potas permg but the link suggest it oxidizes the same as bleach. Whether you use bleach or pp, you will still have to rinse everything down well. I dont know how well pp rinses off of stuff (i believe the purple stains). I do know if you thoroughly rinse the bleach with hot water & allow it to dry (in the sun is even better), any chance of residual chlorine (which should be zero) should be neutralized by your water conditioner. If you cant bleach the sand, boiling it for awhile (make sure you stir it while boiling)! Your decision on what you prefer to disinfect with- i would research the pp a bit more before using though!

jlk said:
Thanks for the link! I dont know much about potas permg but the link suggest it oxidizes the same as bleach. Whether you use bleach or pp, you will still have to rinse everything down well. I dont know how well pp rinses off of stuff (i believe the purple stains). I do know if you thoroughly rinse the bleach with hot water & allow it to dry (in the sun is even better), any chance of residual chlorine (which should be zero) should be neutralized by your water conditioner. If you cant bleach the sand, boiling it for awhile (make sure you stir it while boiling)! Your decision on what you prefer to disinfect with- i would research the pp a bit more before using though!

Thanks jlk! No matter what I use I still have to go out and buy it and it's raining :( the babys up now so I'm off to the shops!

Oh no :( Obviously I can't help but just wanted to pop in and say sorry for your betta :(

cheeky_monkey said:
Oh no :( Obviously I can't help but just wanted to pop in and say sorry for your betta :(

Thank you!

Ok back from the shops. Got bleach, potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide. Over kill definitely! As soon as the kids leave me alone I'll start tearing down the tank.

Be careful with all those chemicals. Don't mix. (I'm sure you knew that, but chemicals freak me out) :)

Sorry about ur betta Mumma. I need to quit putting it off and set up a quarantine tank... It's just hard not to stock every container that holds water... I would say bleach bc it will gas off... Leave set up dry for a while after letting bleach run through for a couple days. Then drain and let stand for a wk dry. Then refill Amd prime the heck out of it... But I am sure by now u have already got.underway... Hope it goes well...

Thank you!

Ok back from the shops. Got bleach, potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide. Over kill definitely! As soon as the kids leave me alone I'll start tearing down the tank.

What, you mean they leave you alone? How did you manage that? lol
I've always got at least one hanging off me, especially if it involves their fishy friends.

Mixed w h2o for.sure. but strong I would say is best. U are disinfectin a killed off tank. U just want to salvage the equipment. Sounds to me like plants are done for... It sucks for sure... Sry again Mumma...

Back
Top Bottom