Strange behavior in bristlenose pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmerc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a young albino bristlenose pleco, a bit more than an inch long. I've had it for maybe a month or so. It usually hangs out on a piece of driftwood during the day, and comes out to eat when I give it an algae wafer or some sort of blanched vegetable. It's usually only moderately active during the day.

Starting yesterday, the pleco's behavior has changed dramatically! It swims around erratically, and does not sit still at all. It will not latch onto driftwood like it used to. I noticed today that it is constantly trying to bury its head under rocks and in plants, and rubbing its face against various things. It honestly looks really uncomfortable. I am starting to think that maybe this is a case of Ich, but I do not see any visible white spots on the pleco as of right now. In fact, my pleco looks totally normal and healthy. It's just the behavior that has changed. Any ideas as to what this could be?

My other fish seem to be doing fine; no strange behavior from them.

Water parameters:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <20 ppm
temperature: 78 degrees F
20 gal. tall freshwater tank with live plants

I've attached a video of my pleco trying to bury its face in a fake plant.

I thought I posted the video, though I don't know how to find it in my post now???

Ich in Pleco's will attack the gills primarily, there will not be any visible signs..

Okay, good to know! Would you say that it is Ich, then? And should I isolate my pleco in my isolation tank so that it doesn't spread to the other fish?

It's strange to me that it is only just now showing up when I've had the little guy for a while.... I did get some new fish a few days ago, but they seem perfectly healthy and were quarantined for quite some time beforehand.

What else do you know about Ich in plecos?

An update: I did some research and it seems that most people agree that raising the temperature in your tank is a pretty effective method to kill Ich parasites. My tank is currently gradually heating up to 84F. I also did a 25% water change, and got some aquarium salt and some Ich medication just in case. I know plecos are scaleless fish, and after some more research, it seems that it would be safe to add 1 tbsp of salt per 10 gallons of water (2 tbsp total for my 20 gallon tank). My pleco, however, has stopped swimming erratically and rubbing his head against things. It seems to be behaving like normal again, except that it won't eat the blanched zucchini I put in the tank for it today. I also still don't see any visible white dots or any other abnormalities on the poor little guy. Anyway, I am going to stick with the higher temperature, and I may add some aquarium salt tomorrow, depending on how the pleco is behaving tomorrow.

That's what I read. My tank is at 84 right now. I will increase it some more in the morning. As of today, my pleco still looks and is behaving normally, except that it won't eat very much. I did spot it chewing on its zucchini for a bit last night, but nothing today. Maybe it's just not hungry? I am sticking with the warmer water temp, and holding back the aquarium salt for now. I also added an air stone to help keep the tank aerated in the warmer water. All the other fish seem fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom