Strange behavior, swimming and playing dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our new female guppy is displaying the strangest behavior. She will play dead for a while, then start swimming normally. Any ideas?

She spends some time vertically, floating, then jerks and starts swimming normally.

Playing dead? Haven't heard that with a fish. I once had a molly who did that and it died a couple of days after. My best guess is that she haven't eaten properly and is weak. So she floats, gathers strength and tries to swim again. Make sure she eats. Something is wrong with her.

What are the parameters of the tank, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, pH, temperature?

Is the tank cycled, and how long has it been running?

Size of tank?

First thing when a fish dies, think water quality.

If there isn't any reason not to, need to do a water change or more than one.

How often are you doing water changes and how many gallons/liters at a time?

It's a well established tank, 55g, cycled for 1 month + back in October last year.

I tested the water quality with the API test tubes, all within normal parameters. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph around 7.6

She was new to the tank. The other fish seem normal.

I did a water change, cleaned one of the filters with dechlorinated water, placed it back. I'm about to put in some Seachem Stress Guard, and some Fluval Cycle bacteria, just in case.

Well it sounds like it was the fish. I would assume you already did, but get the dead body out of there asap so the other fish can't pick at it, also get something from it.

Just watch in case it was something that will spread.

Consider doing QT/Quarantine new fish for a period of ~3-4 weeks. Guppies seem to get parasites pretty often. I do not know.

I would do lots of pwc over the next few weeks to help get that older water cleaned up, and vacuum the substrate as well often.

Yes. Will be doing PWC. How do I know if it was a parasite?

Watch for the poop of the fish, normal would be usualy brownish, reddish, and or fish food color but internal parasites can cause white and stringy poop. Also if there are any worms in gills, out of skin or anal vent. Gross I know.

Back
Top Bottom